Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Scott 360 Used (Bluish Paper) Sold For $1580.55 With Weiss Certificate - Someone Get A Steal?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,513Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thoughtful Mr Gmot
I have read that every person has a price
If you walk into a room and can't see the "mark " it's you
Anyone can be taken, or conned
If it sounds to good to be true......
Beware the narrative, Benjamin Graham
It's all the same thing, In my opinion.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2372 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This seller has a stamp listed as an 8A, which it clearly is not.

Of course that's a common mistake, but the stamp appears possibly scraped a bit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-8A-type...333964313387
Pillar Of The Community
United States
682 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This guy lives out my way, but I do not know who he is. There have been threads, previously, here on SCF about some of his listings - I cannot link to them, but I remember because of his location. I also recall that the 'tone' of those threads were similar to the 'tone' on this one.

It would be interesting to take a normal 4c (non-blue paper, but o/w similar), alter it to appear blued, find a cert for an original 4c Blue Paper (it would have to be one that cannot be confirmed - an old Weiss Cert would be perfect, but I am sure other companies/time-frames would also work - I think early PSAG, too), photo our stamp, paste that photo on the 'good' cert, photocopy the cert, and put it up on eBay. The only difference between our little experiment and the listing in question here (and this may be generous...) is that we would KNOW the stamp isn't a 4c Blue Paper, whereas the seller if the lot in question may have 'honestly' come across the stamp and cert as they are. It would be interesting to see what kind of interest is generated and how much it would sell for.

Oh, wait a minute --- maybe someone has already done my proposed experiment.

I don't scan eBay very much - I was unaware of this stamp for sale. FWIW, I would NEVER have bid on this. Given the seller, the circumstances, the general 'feel', I would not have bitten. I am not a gambler. The odds are always skewed towards the House.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2563 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   10:15 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nystamps is trying to sel a purported 294a invert with a copy of a PF cert for a block of 4 with a 99c start

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nystamps-U...313498529726
Valued Member
Learn More...
439 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   10:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be the top right single of the block
Valued Member
United States
494 Posts
Posted 04/19/2021   10:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In this case the stamp matches the top right stamp of PFC 29543 and that certificate calls it genuine. Note the short perforation.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
508 Posts
Posted 04/19/2021   8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
294a is not a super high end stamp outside of multiples or best of breed. There are 100s of them and many get sold every year. Hardly a difficult stamp to locate.

When you factor in the possible regum/disturbed gum and busted perfs, it's probably worth 2500-$3000. A poor man's invert if there was such a thing. This scenario wouldn't be my method of choice to obtain, since I think you can find properly certified and stamps in similar condition.

The question you have to ask, is why would he put it for sale so cheap. Does he know something about it that isn't up and up? If it was, why not push it through a venue with way less risk and more upside.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
682 Posts
Posted 04/19/2021   9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rismoney - I think you make a good point. Why eBay???? Why not walk it over to Siegel's and put it in one of their auctions? Perhaps he thinks it will sell for more on eBay WITHOUT all the disclosure that it would get if at Siegel's. Which raises the question: what isn't being disclosed???

Some dealers out there sell faulty material without full disclosure and COUNT ON it being overlooked by the buyer. Sure, 80% (just pulled a number out of my... head, but whatever # you believe, it is a non-100% #) will find the undisclosed fault and return it (and, supposedly, get a full refund), but the real money is made on the other 20% that don't return it. THAT'S what some people count on. Sad, but true.
Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
Posted 04/19/2021   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, OP here. Perhaps I should have included this paragraph from the eBay listing since I wanted to read a discussion about the stamp and less about the dealer.

"For this stamp I'll accept returns for up to 90 days, with three conditions: (1) after 30 days, returns may be made only for reasons of identification - not for condition, etc. (2) Returns after 30 days must be accompanied by a (new) valid certificate. I will reimburse the buyer's certification costs. (3) The buyer must pay via PayPal in order to qualify for an extended return."

So the dealer seems not trying to play he who holds it last loses, unless of course he expects any certificate to take longer than the time lines he lists.
Valued Member
367 Posts
Posted 04/28/2021   12:20 am  Show Profile Check matttodd1's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add matttodd1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have had experience with this seller, making a return. I got the refund due, after the cert results came back with an ID other than what it was supposed to be (scott 144). I've found the seller reasonable to deal with. As with anything though, trust your instincts. This seller recently sold a scott 127 with a PF certificate, which I wish I had won. For whatever reason, this seller sells material that would be scarce, on eBay. As others have noted, there are legitimate reasons to do so.
Edited by matttodd1 - 04/28/2021 12:24 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
590 Posts
Posted 04/28/2021   07:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 294a that NYSTAMPS sold on eBay brought $6,301.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2563 Posts
Posted 04/28/2021   7:10 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
so half cat for a pulled perf
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6101 Posts
Posted 04/28/2021   7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thin(s), regummed, creased, all or some of these? Does anybody know including the buyer? Recent Siegel sales for 294a's with small faults have sold for between $2800 and $3250. I never have and never will understand these eBay sales. Strange, strange and double strange cubed.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
682 Posts
Posted 04/28/2021   11:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, rogdcam. Somebody paid twice as much as what this was worth. Maybe THIS is why he sells rarities on eBay, rather than walking them over to Siegel's to put in one of their sales. Stupid question, but are we sure it sold to a real person? Are we sure the money paid was clean?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,513Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05