Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Tagging On US Sc1320, 1507 And 1355 Questions

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 182Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
395 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   2:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stamps4Life to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So im very new to tagging and I have only a Leuchtturm dual wave light - which im not too pleased with - but, seems to be adequate so far.... The SW light seems very dim, even with new batteries. So I wanted to seek some comment please as im new to this. From what I gather, these 3 stamps should all be block tagged, right? I've read the introduction in Scott and its unclear to me the type of tagging for this period and I do not see in the individual listings as having it mentioned. Below are the 3 I have questions on...

The 5¢ Sc1320 - all I see is a little scribbling at the bottom. Error?
The 8¢ Sc1507 - I use as an example of what I think to be correct and expected for all 3.
The 6¢ Sc1355 - I see no tagging.....

Finally, in the reading I've been doing here, Stampsmarter and other places - there is no way to manipulate a scan in order to show tagging? In other words, I would need a UV equipped scanner in order to scan and see tagging? Wm

Send note to Staff
Edited by Stamps4Life - 04/18/2021 2:27 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7386 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stamps4life, there is no such a thing as a UV flatbed scanner. I wished there was!
For tagging the best units are as far as I am concerned the AC units. I have and use several different portable ( battery operated ) lights but they do not really satisfy. They are fine for "on the road" stuff but not if you are really interested in tagging varieties.
On your three stamps, the middle one is OK.
Scott 1320 comes both tagged and untagged. Yours looks untagged, but.....
Scott 1355 looks like it is tagged. When you get a bit more expertise in these you will find that some "tagged" stamps barely light up - the taggant does not "print" equally over an issue. Sometimes the stamps shine really bright, at other times they are very dull. Hope this helps a bit,

Peter

By the way, I think the Walt Disney stamp and the Savings Bond stamp are both overall tagged. You can check the type of tagging used on StampSmarter.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 04/18/2021 2:43 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
395 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So the 1355 would be tagged over the entire front? Also, I clearly see some scribble marks on the 1320 - error or what?? Tks Peter.
PS can you share you name of plug in light you like?

edit: I did not see your last comment at 1st - was on the iphone and missed it. Ill double ck stamp smarter. unless im not working it right, I only saw a few examples when I went to their database.

PPS - dummy I am. I did not realize the drop down menu....

Edited by Stamps4Life - 04/18/2021 2:57 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3528 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two quick and dirty shots ... Here are both the tagged and untagged versions of 1320:

Add: Boerger & Stark's "Handbook on U.S. Lumniescent Stamps" (I have the 1970-71 edition handy), notes only about 12% of Scott 1320 were tagged.

The small streak of taggant at the bottom of your 1320 is likely transfer by abrasion with another tagged stamp.

The overall tagging of 1355 goes part-way into the margins:

(Done with an antique Raytech UV light, not optimized for illumination intensity or camera details.)
Edited by John Becker - 04/18/2021 3:49 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7386 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My UV light ( SWUV ) came from UVtools, at www.UVtools.com . I also use a Long Wave unit for paper types, it is a separate unit and I do not remember where it came from.

Peter

Edited to change web site link
Edited by Petert4522 - 04/18/2021 3:46 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
395 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
tks all. I've been looking for another 1355 - Disney but so far cant find one. But, when I lay the 1533 over the Christmas 1507, I clearly see the block on the Christmas, but nothing on the Disney Sc 1355. All is still se on the Sc1320 is the scribbling on the bottom when compared to the tagging on the 1507
Pillar Of The Community
3528 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The overall tagging on your Disney is there, it'a just not as intense as the block tagging on the Christmas stamp.
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you familiar with the stampsmarter.org tagging Database. It has images for every US stamp plus many freaks and errors. Your 1355 is clearly overall tagged. That is the overall green color you see.
Valued Member
Learn More...
395 Posts
Posted 04/19/2021   10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are you familiar with the stampsmarter.org tagging Database. It has images for every US stamp plus many freaks and errors. Your 1355 is clearly overall tagged. That is the overall green color you see.

Yes. Tks. See here: https://www.stampcommunity.org/topi...77087#691546

If you follow the thread, I did mention StampSmarter and the article I read, etc... According to the posters before you, exactly what they mention re: overall tagging. Tks. It was my mistake as when I got to the listings page on their site, I guess the drop down menu field populated when the page appeared and I did not realize the drop down menu feature. I went back and forth on the page but the few listing that 1st appeared were static so I did not realize the option to change the criteria until I posted the update above in my response to the above.....

Tks again.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 182Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05