Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's Wrong With This Shipment?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 1,299Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

United States
6 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add vorskla to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Any ideas?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
554 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Torn open at the top?

Nice that it was mailed from the UN. Saves postage costs since UN stamps are so discounted for face material.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vorskla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
THE UNITED NATIONS HEADQUARTERS IS TEMPORARILY CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC https://visit.un.org/
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2326 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have to ask, is this a game we're playing?

United Nations stamps with a US cancel, not a UN one. At last look years ago, the UN was only accepting mail from visitors during a range of a few hours, one day a week. On the other hand, COVID may have an effect on how UN mail is handled these days.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7443 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Other than the torn envelope I do not see any problem.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7443 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Other than the torn envelope I do not see any problem. I can not tell the date it was cancelled, or the locale

Peter
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vorskla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
>> Other than the torn envelope I do not see any problem. I can not tell the date it was cancelled, or the locale

April 14, 2021, just delivered. How it's possible to send a first class letter from zip 10940 without postage?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
554 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone can mail mail at the New York UN Post Office with UN stamps. It then is accepted and basically handled by the USPS for US delivery. The sender did over pay postage by a penny, if that counts as a problem. No rule that it must be handed to a postal clerk to enter the mail stream.

There was a time a number of years ago with UN mint postage so discounted, many dealers and other mailed huge mailing from the UN, for example the entire run a auction catalogs as priority mail, saving a large percentage of actual postage costs. It got so bad (good for the customers) that a limit of how much could be mailed in any given period was greatly reduced. Seems the UNPO did not like having to provide services for all the stamps they had previously sold collectors since the money received had been long spent on other expenses.

Another auction dealer did the same doing bulk mailing from Bhutan for a while.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/18/2021 6:15 pm
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gibby01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can't just be a money saving scheme, Gitner's office is 65 miles north of midtown. The cost of driving down there with tolls (including 12-16 bucks for the GW bridge) or a $20 each way commuter train ride doesn't make dropping mail off there all that convenient. I've ordered from Gitner a couple of times in the past but I've always picked up my order since I'm local so really can't theorize any further on their methods.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2326 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is, just not the way you imagine. It's a good way to get rid of excess UN stock while not having to buy US postage for a mailing if he or an employee were to be in Manhattan for some reason that day. Gitner and crew traveled/travels all over doing shows and it's no stretch that there was business to be conducted with somebody in Manhattan. There's a better choice of delis there, too.
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gibby01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There's a better choice of delis there, too

Yes, there is!!

Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vorskla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One more time. THE UNITED NATIONS HEADQUARTERS IS TEMPORARILY CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC
Edited by vorskla - 04/18/2021 6:44 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
554 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But their postal service continues.

If this bothers you so much, turn the letter over to the local US Postal Inspectors as either a trespass at the UN or evading payment of postage.They will get right on it as appropriate.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/18/2021 6:57 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2326 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So you know for a fact that there is no mail drop box placed outside the building in the interim? Or instructions posted that UN mail is being accepted in nearby USPS boxes or ??? And it's not like UN stamped mail got dropped in USPS boxes accidentally or purposely and didn't get scrutinized before going on to the recipient without postage due. That USPS doesn't go over all mail with a fine tooth comb has been thoroughly reported in recent times here on SCF. Then you are playing games.

Gibby, you're making me hungry. And two pickles, too...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7443 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   7:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Darn, that sandwich looks good!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6254 Posts
Posted 04/18/2021   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The rye, the mustard, the pickles and last but not least the glorious corned beef......I am drooling on my plate blocks.....
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 1,299Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05