Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Hard Paper Or Soft Paper

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 928Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   08:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add StampNube to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1750 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add essayk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Which one is "This"?

The right stamp is hard for sure. The left stamp appears thicker, but to be sure, more of the stamp needs to be seen in other parts (preferably parts not obstructed by adhesions). Cannot rule out intermediate paper for the left stamp in this pic.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
789 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How many threads are you going to open with the same question but different titles?
Learn More...
9250 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   1:49 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
StampNube is ok with opening this thread, I removed the other this morning because he got snarky with me and I lost my patience. I am trying to give StampNube some latitude as they become more familiar with the community and the hobby.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
789 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
9250 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   2:05 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I tried to explain how best to get feedback and help. I let him know that 'treasure hunting' type threads often do not get feedback because many folks know what happens when people are given disappointing news over and over. I hope everyone will understand.
Don
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   12:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampNube to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Studebaker. I apologize for that, I took your suggestion out of context. Lesson learned. I do not want to cause trouble in these forums.
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   12:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampNube to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My grandfather left me his private collection, my family was bankers dating all the way back to the late 1800s. I think I might have some stamps that have never been seen by the community. I do not want to stir up trouble, I just need some good advice. Please don't take my words out of context. I am a humble and peaceful person. I wasnt trying to be snarky. Thank you again for allowing me to join this forum
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   12:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampNube to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry "this" meaning the right stamp, the left stamp is soft
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1750 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add essayk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I truly mean no offense when I raise this question, but in fact your efforts to vindicate the number "181" your aunt wrote above the stamp on the right in her album ( https://www.stampcommunity.org/topi...PIC_ID=77043 )would be amusing if they weren't so desperately ill informed. Consider please, that the stamp in question has a well struck bullseye cancel in blue ink. That is a well attested type of cancellation. Do you surmise this cancel was applied to the stamp during its use for postage? If so, then please tell how it was affixed to whatever letter or wrapper carried it through the mail. If it were a 181 it was issued without gum, so whatever adhesive was added to hold it to the mail piece which bore it, had to be of a type that would completely dissolve after soaking and leave no trace of residue. That was pretty typical of the gum adhesives used by the Post Office Department, but not available for general distribution at the time.

So if it were a 181, how did that stamp get used and then clean up so nicely?
Edited by essayk - 04/21/2021 6:37 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31917 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was never aware you could tell hard and soft paper via a scan.
In a general philatelic sense, I understood one had to hold the stamp in the tweezers / tongs, and flick the paper with index finger.
(gently)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6141 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "flick test" just never did it for me. Poor technique and lack of fine motor control issues. I like looking at the fibers and the way the paper absorbs a spot of watermark fluid.
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampNube to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What if it were cancelled but not mailed
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampNube to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have all of the bank note issues, because they were bankers. but I just sent it off to be certified so I'll let you know in a week or few. Thank you stude.
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampNube to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I mean essayk
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2428 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   10:06 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I vote we call Don, Studely
Edited by sinclair2010 - 04/21/2021 10:07 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 928Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05