Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Hard Paper Or Soft Paper

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 975Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6149 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like it!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1750 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add essayk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
StampNube wrote:

Quote:
I have all of the bank note issues, because they were bankers. but I just sent it off to be certified so I'll let you know in a week or few. Thank you stude.

Smart move on your part if you really can't tell.

But by your diction here you provide another example of what appears to be a misunderstanding. Do you know why the Bank Note Issues were given that appellation? [Hint: it has nothing to do with banking per se.]

They are called that because, in distinction from all the other US issues of the 19th century, they were designed and printed by security printing companies which contained the words "Bank Note Company" in the common form of their name. National; Continental; and American - Bank Note Company.

Calling them "Bank Note" Companies had nothing to do with their involvement in banking. Such companies came to be called that in the days before we had a national currency; mainly the first half of the nineteenth century. Before national currency, Americans traded in local currencies which were issued and backed by local banks and similar institutions of monetary trade. Those banks went to security printers to produce the actual bank notes; hence, bank note companies.

Today, people who collect the "broken-bank notes" produced at that time, now without fiduciary value, refer to it by the term "Obsolete Currency." Since you come from a family of bankers I would not be surprised if you have encountered a fair sampling of that. But among stamps the Bank Note Issues have nothing to do with banking. Indeed, I have some low denomination Bank Note Issues which were used on personal and corporate checks to pay the tax on written checks at the time. In the US that was an illegal use of postage stamps at that time, which shows you how far removed from banking these issues are.

Edited by essayk - 04/22/2021 11:16 am
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampNube to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great info essayk.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6149 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nube - Please share the results of your submission when returned. Best of luck.
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampNube to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will rogdcam. Thank you
Valued Member
United Kingdom
28 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add theswedish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I got so many questions about the flip test that on my recent attempt at guiding the viewer on how to tell the soft/hard difference I did not mention it. I tried making a video of the process, but the video does not give you a good indication of the degree of tension you should feel on the stamp. Plus it only works some of the time, not all the time. There are more accurate methods one can employ.

StampNube, great that you mentioned the connection between the banknotes and the banknote companies. A handful of 19thC vignettes (approved and unapproved) were lifted off banknote vignettes, and some of the vignettes were engraved by engravers who worked on both banknotes and stamps.
Edited by theswedish - 04/25/2021 3:06 pm
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampNube to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampNube to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 975Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05