Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Parcel Tag From Great Britain

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 431Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Linus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
From my WW block collection, I will share with you, an old parcel tag with a block of seven Queen Victoria stamps, GB Scott #89, used to pay the postage to ship two pheasants to Eton College. The sender was Sir Alfred Jodrell of the Bayfield Hall estate, and from Wikipedia:

Jodrell was also noted for his generosity to people. He would send a basket of fresh fruit and vegetables every week to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital in Norwich. At Christmas time he sent the hospital 40 chickens and 40 turkeys plucked and oven ready. He gave generously to many charities and good causes especially to his locality. His generosity extended to his friends as well. He was known for his hosted dinners where he served the finest food and wine to his guest, although he himself abstained from alcohol. He once hosted King George V who visited from his Norfolk home at Sandringham to attend a pheasant shoot on the estate organized by Jodrell. Jodrell was also a keen collector and had collections of teapots and ceramic birds although he is best known for his collection of seashells. He had a museum built next to St Martine's church to house the shell collection. The museum can still be visited to this day.

Linus

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2320 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! Also good to see the time when just a name and "Eton College" would get mail delivered. Custom printed tag, too, implying he sent out a lot of pheasant. Is your whole block collection annotated like this? Regardless, more please?

I am also amused by the content-based advertising that appears with this post. If anyone can't see it, I'll post the image but not the advertiser.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hy-brasil - Thanks for the kind words. I write up certain items throughout my stamp and postal history collection, when there is a story to be told. I belong to another online forum called Stamporama, and the friendly folks over there helped me figure out this piece years ago. To some, I am sure this item is old news, but some of you on SCF have not seen it, so I am sharing it here tonight.

Obviously, Sir Alfred was a wealthy man, and his custom label decodes as below:

Pheas. = Pheasants
Part. = Partridges
Rab. = Rabbits

Linus
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31929 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely Piece Linus.
No Partridge or Rabbit on the Menu I note.

Presume they are very worn NORFOLK Rubber Parcel Obliterators.

Fail to understand "Holt"

Holt is a market town, civil parish and electoral ward in the English county of Norfolk.
Edited by rod222 - 04/20/2021 8:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2320 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm, rod.

Now that you mention it, it doesn't look like NORFOLK in the parcels cancel at all. I think I see ??RBHA? or ??R?HA?

EDIT: From a stamp on the upper row, the ending might be HAM. Not a lot of help there in British town names, though.

So can anyone tell me why not a Holt parcels cancel or were packages specially handled by parcels offices?
Edited by hy-brasil - 04/20/2021 8:43 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31929 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My Word, HB you have good eyesight.
I'll check the nearest PO's
Holt has a CDS

NORWICH, CROMER, OR KING'S LYNN
Edited by rod222 - 04/20/2021 8:24 pm
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I never have figured out that cancel...

Thanks for the kind words, Rod.

Linus
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31929 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nope, lost the trail.
Confusing address, written "Bucks" = Buckinghamshire
Eton College is in Berkshire.

Possibly not able to ID Pmk
Norfolk to Berkshire 152 miles, the Pheasants probably went by rail.
(alive I presume)

Edited by rod222 - 04/20/2021 8:40 pm
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the top line of the tag: DELIVER IMMEDIATELY PERIOD, as in NO excuses. The fastest mode of transport would be to put the parcel on the next train headed that way. I could never figure out any nearby town, so perhaps it was cancelled on a train, or at a train depot, and since there is no date, perhaps the stamps were cancelled with any old rubber stamp, maybe railroad related?

A mystery I might never solve.

Linus
Edited by Linus - 04/20/2021 9:06 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31929 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
perhaps the stamps were cancelled with any old rubber stamp, maybe railroad related?

Hi Linus,
these are common format rubber Parcel Obliterators,
2 rings and sometimes 2 line bar with Town name across.
Not rail related

Parcel Post
Not mine.

Edited by rod222 - 04/20/2021 10:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3066 Posts
Posted 04/20/2021   10:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is quite a puzzle.

I wonder if the postmark could be BURNHAM in Bucks?

I imagine Sir Alfred could have carried several labels like this and would use them wherever he was at the time.

Perhaps he's had a day's shooting with friends in Burnham, bags a few pheasant, and then sends a couple off with this label to the school?

I believe Eton used to be in Buckinghamshire.

The cancellation looks like a typical rubber post office parcels postmark (as I see Rod has identified).

This style was introduced in 1889.

Rod, that's a nice clear Kingsland postmark.
Nigel
Edited by nigelc - 04/20/2021 10:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2320 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   12:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well done, nigelc! Very, very, very plausible.

Of course, Vayolene might still swoop in and provide the answer absolutely.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31929 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   12:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder if the postmark could be BURNHAM in Bucks?

I like it! Nigel
I was not aware Eton was once in Bucks.
I enjoy these little "solve its"

Assume rubber obliterators came into vogue, to address difficult surfaces of the parcel post.

"Bag a few Pheasants"
I say, what a jolly good pastime, pip pip and all that.

(actually killing birds turns my stomach)

PS: Princes Harry and William. attended Eton.
Edited by rod222 - 04/21/2021 12:59 am
Pillar Of The Community
789 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   01:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
AMERSHAM?
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   01:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Burnham! Very good possibility, Nigel. Thank you very much!

Thank you Rod, and hy-brasil for your work on this mystery. Working all together, things can be figured out.

Rod said:

Quote:
(alive I presume)

Probably not, as Nigel stated above. When I posted this tag on Stamporama, member Brechinite added this:

"The brace of pheasants would have been dead, un-plucked and wrapped in brown paper.

On arrival they would have been hung for a few days, then plucked and roasted."

I am also not a hunter myself, Rod, but I do go fishing, and enjoy fresh fish fillets.

For further reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Jodrell

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayfield_Hall

I will share another one from collection, hy-brasil, someday soon, now it is time for sleep.

Linus

Pillar Of The Community
789 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   02:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That letter between R and H is an S, not an N.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 431Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05