Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Parcel Tag From Great Britain

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 430Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2320 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   02:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
NSK, based on the top center and top right strikes, I can see that as a possibility. But in the most complete strike it doesn't look like an "S" to me, anyway. Amersham "feels" too wide to be it, as even my initial guess at WAREHAM seems to be.

No guesses above were found in the British cancel database or the Stampboards thread that feeds into it:
http://philatelicweb.com/pmks/
Just for laughs, I went through current and completed eBay listings, but no joy. Interesting to me, though.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31929 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   03:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
AMERSHAM looks good too !

19Km Amersham to Eton College
160Km Holt to Eton College

7d Tariff for 2 Pheasants?
Have we an rough year for this Tag?
Pillar Of The Community
789 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   03:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1d lilac unified issue type II was in use from 13 december 1881 until replaced by the 1d red Edward VII. 7d was the parcel rate for 4-5 lb. from 1 June 1897. It was not a specified parcel rate at any other time. Five imperial pounds might be right for two good pheasants.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31929 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   04:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For Interest.
Great Britain Parcel Post.
Nigel suggests 1889 for the introduction of the circular parcel post.
(If referencing Type 208)
Daniels (1898) has it at 7 years later at 1896

For students reference,

Remember CHARD well, not far from home.
Edited by rod222 - 04/21/2021 04:52 am
Pillar Of The Community
789 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   04:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could it be Nigel's introduction was long before general use?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31929 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   04:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed, may be Type 202
Edited by rod222 - 04/21/2021 04:54 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3066 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   05:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I got the 1889 date from Collect British Postmarks where this is type 19/11 and it corresponds to Rod's type 208.

I like NSK's suggestion of AMERSHAM.
Nigel
Valued Member
Learn More...
Netherlands
495 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   06:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
very interesting read, again I learned, thank you
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 430Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05