Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Paper Questions 1 Cent Franklins And Does Anyone Have A Back Scan Of A #24 B (Laid)?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 394Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
Netherlands
495 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
i am trying to learn a bit more on the 1c franklins, neinken does not mention paper viarities in his book and online I am not finding any eighter.

am I correct that besides the laid paper it is all the same?

both imperf and perf?

I have seen different thickness of paper...but I think that is just part of hand made paper right?

i do NOT think I have a 24 B, but I am curious what it looks like from back.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7394 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dutch, use the "search" function for laid paper. There are several posts with pictures on this forum

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
Netherlands
495 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
peter t, yes, I have done that. seen many examples, but none show it on a 1c Franklin, just one franklin that was said to be ribbed not laid, and was never followed up with a cert.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
203 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't done any research into this topic, but I did notice an ad for a 23-24L1L pair described as "Thin paper" variety. Considering that the pair comes from the Wade Saadi collection, and assuming this is Wade's description, there probably is a variety recognized as such, at least for the 1851 issue. I'll ask Alan Cohen if he will scan the back side and I'll post it when I get it.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Netherlands
495 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   3:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
superb, very interesting. Widglo46 thank you for sharing!

would there be a reason it is not mentioned in scott?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6238 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think Neinken covers it quite well in his book. Look in the very back. He does state "Reprinted in part from Ashbrook, Vol II".

As far as the "Thin paper" Neinken states it appeared late in the fall of 1857.
Edited by stallzer - 04/21/2021 6:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6149 Posts
Posted 04/21/2021   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I keep getting toilet paper results on Google when I type in Scott thin or laid paper.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Netherlands
495 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   03:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stallzer, thank you, found it, page 533, I didn't find it because it is after the reprints section and assumed it was about the reprints. learned never to assume.

interesting Chase states a stamp can appear "LAID" by being on a "LAID" envelope under pressure for years.

rogdcam, I had that same thing happening.....;-)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6149 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   08:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
interesting Chase states a stamp can appear "LAID" by being on a "LAID" envelope under pressure for years.

From a 2011 Siegel Power Search 24b lot description:

1c Blue, Ty. V, Laid Paper (24b). Horizontal strip of three, showing clear horizontal laid lines, rich color, neat strikes of circular datestamp
VERY FINE AND CHOICE. THIS IS THE LARGEST RECORDED MULTIPLE OF THE 1857 PERFORATED ONE-CENT TYPE V ON LAID PAPER. ONLY SIX IN TOTAL ARE RECORDED. A PHENOMENAL RARITY OF THE ISSUE.

Our census of Scott 24b, which encompasses the records of Mortimer Neinken, Jerome S. Wagshal, auction records and the records of the Philatelic Foundation, contains one single, a pair and this strip of three, for a total of six copies. All have horizontal laid lines. This strip offers the opportunity to acquire half of the world's supply. Given its rarity, we consider it to be undercatalogued -- for example, Scott 63 on laid paper catalogues $7,000.00 in used condition.

With 1992 A.P.S. certificate.

NOTE: 2011 P.F. certificate STATES THIS IS "NOT SCOTT 24b, RATHER IT IS A SCOTT 24, ON NORMAL PAPER, ITS APPEARANCE DUE TO CONTACT PRESSURE FROM AN UNKNOWN SOURCE"
Valued Member
Learn More...
Netherlands
495 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rogdcam, great find,

pitty siegel did not post back scan showing the laid paper
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2428 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   09:22 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rog, I am glad you found that. I wasn't aware that strip got flunked by the PF. While I never got the opportunity to examine the strip, I believe this whole business of stamps taking on the appearance of the paper which it was affixed to is something that is repeated much too often. It is mostly nonsense, IMO. Not that I am in disagreement with the PF....
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2428 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   09:34 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a #26 on what may be laid paper but I haven't looked at it in a number of years.

When we talk about laid paper with these stamps, it is important to recognize that it is not really a true laid paper or even exactly like the imitation laid paper used for example, to make many of the envelopes of the period.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Netherlands
495 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Winston for contributing.....very interesting. if you happen to look at the 26 again...i would love to see a back scan of that one

i would absolutely still love a back scan of a 1c "laid" but I guess that probably wont happen

Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 394Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05