Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

"1984" And The US Postal Service

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 802Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
799 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   10:06 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add docgfd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2414 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing surprises me anymore.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
9772 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   10:49 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They (USPS iCOP) typically do investigations into things like online cryptocurrency blockchain analysis, I am not sure how the article comes up with " The work involves having analysts trawl through social media sites to look for what the document describes as "inflammatory" postings and then sharing that information across government agencies."

<soapbox>
Without citing sources, I distrust ALL media at this point. When ATT owns CNN, they spin the 'news' to what ATT wants (i.e. ATT trying capture China markets, so they make Russia a bad guy and ignore China bad things). When Disney owns ABC, they spin the 'news' to what Disney wants (which is to open up markets in China). When Verizon owns Yahoo, they spin things to what Verizon wants to see.

We do not watch news, we are purchasing news. What ever gets eyeballs, whatever gets clicks, no vetting, no real sources. They want to divide the country, they want everyone angry at each other. This is what gets ratings, this is what gets clicks. What gets promoted and spun is whatever the company who owns the media service wants the public to buy into. Follow the money.
</soapbox>

Here is an older link which outlines the iCOP group.
https://www.uspis.gov/wp-content/up...2/2019AR.pdf
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6825 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This forum is the extent of my posting anywhere. There are so many "eyes" on everyone's freely shared life details and thoughts, from mining it for profit to monitoring your behavior to see if you are "stepping out of line" by even expressing a dissenting opinion or unapproved thought. It is not a partisan issue although when one side is benefiting that side tends to not be as fraught about it. The thing is that the worm always, always, always turns. Bet on it.

We are not approaching 1984. We are living in 1984.
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   1:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This honestly felt like an April Fool's prank and I really was hoping for some kind of punchline at the end. Is real life the punchline?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6310 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   1:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My view on it is best summed up by a line from Paul Simon's The Only Living Boy in New York : I can gather all the news I need on the weather report.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2414 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly, the Howard Beale character from the 1976 Movie "Network" turned out to be a real prophet after all.

True to form, during the movie, when he started telling the truth, his ratings dropped. The truth was too depressing, and no-one wanted to hear it.
Edited by txstamp - 04/22/2021 2:37 pm
Valued Member
Australia
102 Posts
Posted 04/23/2021   12:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The USPS has been spying on people for years and years and has been giving information to various law enforcement agencies as well.

Did you people know that every piece of mail in the US is photographed?

There have been numerous reports about the USPS Mail Imaging program in the news if you care to look for them.

Law enforcement agencies also send requests to the USPS to monitor mail. This is called a 'mail cover'. Various US Intelligence agencies also monitor mail.....

Common practice in CI (Counterintelligence) actions and investigations.

Even here in Australia law enforcement uses Australia Post in criminal investigations and for information.

When I worked as a civilian analyst in the homicide squad here in Victoria I used to send Australia Post requests for information in active and cold case homicides.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6825 Posts
Posted 04/23/2021   12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, inspecting the mail is to be expected. This is not about that. Not at all. This is about monitoring social media comments. Would love to know what is considered something of interest.
Valued Member
United States
498 Posts
Posted 04/24/2021   08:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rodgcam and all,

Interest like beauty is a matter of personal opinion. "Paranoia runs deep. Creapes into our body while we sleep...." Given that the vast majority of interpersonal communications now go by email than snail mail and given emails are much easier to access and inspect I am more worried about what I type rather than what I write.
Valued Member
Australia
102 Posts
Posted 04/24/2021   11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam,

1984 and all that.............

I wonder where in the USPS charter it allows them to undertake those activities?

I suppose they call it 'security' or 'national security' and then anything goes.

The thing is that that probably 99% of Americans have no idea that the USPS does some sort of spying on them in one form or another and the 1% that do know have no idea about extent of the snooping.

The USPS also runs several other mail tracking or 'spying' programs not mentioned here.....

Now the most interesting factoid about all this USPS spying or tracking or whatever one wants to call it is that the US had a big election several months ago that had a whole bunch of ballots that were supposedly sent through, yep, the USPS mail service.

With the USPS Mail Imaging program every one of those ballots (mail in and absentee) should have been scanned and photographed.

It would have been quite simple to verify that x number of ballots were mailed on such and such a date and then compare that number to the number actually counted or received by mail at the various counting centers.

Simple.

Not one word or investigation has been undertaken using this data. I also wonder what the retention period is for the USPS holding this data.

People in the USA have been fed a huge bunch of hogwash over the past 5 1/2 years or so by various three letter agencies that have no substance in fact. This action allows people to add the USPS to the list.

Here is my little summary of the three letter agencies that I have had unfortunate experience to work with over the years when I was in the US military:

FBI - Federal Bureau of Incompetents

CIA - Complete Idiots and A**holes

DIA - Dummy Intelligence Agency

NRO - No Real Organization

NSA - no original words for this one.

Now some comments on the above.

Of all of the above I have the least respect for the CIA. First hand knowledge from working 'with' these people on a daily basis over a period of time. To this day I still wonder how some of the people they had working for them ever got hired. Totally incompetent. Dumb as well and a lot of them were cowards.

FBI, they were bad back in the 80's and everything after that has proved that in many instances they are a third rate keystone cops entity that has gone off the rails. Now more political than anything else.

DIA - used to be a very good agency and had top notch people as well as analysis. Not so anymore which is a huge disappointment. Now a bottom of the barrel entity.

NSA - I will tell you that they thought they were the GOD on the mountain. Lots of brains, but lots of jerks too. Lots of screw ups about them in the news over the recent past as well.

Most people think that their success has come from all that computing power and their ability to suck in everything in electronic spectrum.

In fact, most of their 'outstanding' successes have come from basic intelligence operations and a lot of that from the HUMINT side.

NRO - interesting agency that was so secret when I was in the military that the name itself was classified. Now a big time player.

And maybe a few comments about the 'dark side'.....

So which intelligence agencies or entities are good?

This is my personal list.

Well you have various entities from Russia, China, UK, France, Israel, Cuba, and so forth. Some are very good in one area, but poor in others.

In cyber activities, China has to be number one. Huge resources and manpower. Israel is up there as well and Russia, while being painted the big boogeyman, is over rated. I'd put NSA at number 4 or 5 and that is based on their footprint and collection ability.

In HUMINT you have the same cast of characters, but with different results. China is up and coming, but they are really limited by geography and race.

Russia has always done well in this area and has had huge successes against the USA and other western countries so overall I'd rate them number one.

In number 2 position I'd put Israel and her various entities.

Number three might surprise you, but it would have to be Cuba. They have run around the FBI and CIA for years and made fools of them numerous times.

Not on the dark side, but number four would have to be the US Army with its tactical intelligence capabilities, analysis, and other intelligence activities. Probably the best in the world in its field.

In the field of intelligence the USA has become a third rate, banana republic type player.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6825 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   12:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Melbourne - Well said and agreed. I too have had the "pleasure" of working with most of your listed Alphabet agencies and was also not impressed and astounded at the amount of cash they burn on nonsense. Ask me about the "FBI Bar" in Baghdad. People have zero clue what really goes on and some laugh it off. So can somebody tell me again why the USPS needs to monitor and evaluate the content of social media and refer "bad stuff". Again, just what is on the trigger list. Anybody that cares about freedom should care. Many don't. Sad.
Czech Republic
1 Posts
Posted 06/26/2021   2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jakub CZ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, I have a postage stamp Ignacio Manuel Altimirano in 1920, nowhere on the Internet will it certainly have a price?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7657 Posts
Posted 06/26/2021   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jakub, welcome to the forum. Can you show a picture?

Peter
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33077 Posts
Posted 06/27/2021   12:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you are spelling it incorrectly ?
Altamirano
Exists: Argentina Postmark 1872 Altamarino

Edited by rod222 - 06/27/2021 12:57 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 802Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05