Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another Ebay Listing With Inkjet Printed Rare Stamps Going For Thousands

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 1,927Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wjmartin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Perhaps some of you have seen this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333964676222

Here is a typical image from the listing:

Bids are over $4k now. Probably any stamps in this lot with a CV much above the minimum have been printed by inkjet or other means.

I don't know if I am more annoyed by the idea of someone cheating people out of their money, or the idea that some are dumb enough to fall for it.

How to tell this is a scam? Well to start,

1. Images are blurry, this helps hide poor quality of printing.
2. Colors are off for the "rare" stamps, to the extent you can tell.
3. In this case, the perforations are not too bad, but more often, the perfs are also wrong.
4. Seller is new and from a foreign country. Once you send money, the seller likely disappears into another eBay ID.
5. It fails correlation. By this I mean that the fake rare stamps are in a mediocre collection of common stamps. Generally, valuable stamps are found in collections of valuable stamps. A collection with thousands of stamps some people throw away will not have a great rarity in it. There should be some correlation of the condition and quality of the stamps in a collection.
6. Lot contains some extremely rare items, like a color invert. The odds of that being fake are extraordinary without any of the above considerations. If that one is a fake, then by correlation, the other valuable ones probably are to.

It is painful to see these things go off on eBay, and not be able to do anything about it.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
228 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's pretty hard to argue with your theory. Who forgets that their 1869 gems including 121b are in their everyday 'sell' album.

The many Specimen overprints look too dark like he just made them.

He also goes out of his way to say that he knows nothing about stamps or their real value. Sure.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Edited by Casey Magoo - 04/22/2021 11:56 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
Netherlands
495 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Funny how all his references are 100%, all have very little reviews (10 and under) and most, if not all, from Egypt as well.

but I guess you never know what you can find in a pyramid ;-)

these have been there since before Christ,probably 500 BC, so they must be good, they could not reperf and regum at that time
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is just so creepy. How do people even find listings like this that have absolutely zero SEO, meaning that the terrible eBay search actually brought them to this listing with pretty much zero identifying qualities. Scammers really scare me
Valued Member
United States
385 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay or PayPal will be the payee for this purchase eventually as the seller's $4+K will not be left in an account that either can seize.
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What drives me crazy is I have some great stamps at 'real' prices out there and can't get a bid. Unbelievable!!
Valued Member
47 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe this is same seller which listed(and sold?) lot discussed here, https://www.stampcommunity.org/topi...PIC_ID=75102 The eBay listing is no longer available as it's 4 months old. Looks like his feedback has increased a bit since then.

Valued Member
United States
385 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well suspicions can be reported via the "report item" link in the body of the listing. Even if no action is take before the lot closes, when the buyer demands a refund, eBay will take note, especially on a four figure item a seller doesn't refund.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6149 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
eBay will take note

Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@jamesg It's honestly ridiculous the prices you'll find on eBay. I'm trying to sell some older german stuff and CV says 8, I'll charge 5 or something, and lo and behold there's a seller charging 1.99$! How can anyone beat such prices! A friend said I should buy him out to clear the market
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5538 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   1:22 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
$5 for a $8 CV stamp looks ambitious - in fact, I'd say $1.99 looks ambitious.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
510 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
where do I sign for a 121b in mint. just wow.
smells like laundering.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
29 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RXC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, to be fair, he does offer free shipping.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4370 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "report item" black hole has been discussed and tested ad nauseum on SCF. eBay will not take note.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3090 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a PPS_Pyramid Ponzi Scheme

Edited by perf12 - 04/22/2021 3:36 pm
Valued Member
United States
385 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The auction has been cancelled by eBay and no longer displays.

The seller's ID is still active with one lot but I don't know enough about, "VERY OLD ITALIAN STAMPS ALL NEW WITH GUM NOT USED" to comment if the 16 bidders are at a good price level of $257.00 + free S&H for nine beautiful clean stamps. eBay item number: 333966822907

Yet again reporting for me has been successful.

Seems the $750,000.00 #121b fraud and likelihood, eBay or PayPal would have been on the hook for over $4600 caught their attention. Did not hurt this is not the first time a bad lot was being sold by that ID seller.

Quote:
-rogdcam

Reply:
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/22/2021 8:08 pm
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 1,927Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05