Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newfoundland - SC 132 - A & S.l. Overprint

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 615Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...

Canada
927 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gmot to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Looking for info to help identify this "A & S.L." overprint on the 1923 pictorial 2 cent issue (Scott 132). Checked BNAPS article archives but didn't find anything & I don't own a copy of the NF specialized cat.

Perhaps a company name? Maybe added later by typewriter?

Thanks! Greg
Send note to Staff
Edited by gmot - 04/22/2021 2:41 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
659 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect that the "A & S.L." overprint stands for Ayre & Sons, Ltd. But, I won't even try to guess why it was applied to the stamp.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by jarnick - 04/22/2021 3:34 pm
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3160 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The company was a big producer of perfins.The typed letters are known as " forerunners " ...
Page 12 below...
https://bnaps.org/studygroups/Newfo...-01-w178.pdf
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
927 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, thanks for the link @perf12, that explains it perfectly! I have some Ayre perfins, but didn't make the connection (I'll blame lack of coffee). Thanks both.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32853 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nicely solved Perf12, great link!
Pillar Of The Community
7656 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gmot

Take a close look at the top of your stamp..Maybe a "retouch" like my overlap.
Just saying...Robert

Here is an example of the AYRE version in a perfin form.

Edited by wert - 04/23/2021 2:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
927 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, @wert, took a closer look & my stamp has much the same overlap. That's quite the impressive flyspecking eye you have!

~Greg
Valued Member
Canada
105 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Brad905 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wert,

I checked my 21 copies of Scott# 132, The Southwest Arm, Trinity from th3e 1923-1924 Pictorial Issue. All had the same line on them. The doubling of the border line was evident on most stamps, although a few were missing but I think only as a result of more ink being on the plate at the time. I also checked the Newfoundland Specialized Stamp Catalogue, and there was no mention of this.

Well worth the check though.
Edited by Brad905 - 04/25/2021 5:14 pm
Pillar Of The Community
7656 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Brad905

We do not know what really happened 96-97 years ago..The non retouch stamps you have may have been from the start of the printing process and the so called retouch placed latter after wear and tear...Probably no one alive today to verify the possibility of a retouch.....I also believe there were approx. 8 different perforation versions.

Robert

Edited by wert - 04/25/2021 6:40 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 615Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05