Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Susan B. Anthony Missing Period US Scott 784

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 399Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
836 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gettinold to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This has been covered in earlier threads that are now locked:
https://www.stampcommunity.org/topi...PIC_ID=27205
According to the earlier thread a total of 269,522,200 Scott 784 were printed. Of those, 168,452 have a period missing after the letter B in Susan B. Anthony. The tough part is finding one used on cover. Does anyone have one used on cover?

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suggest, when shows start again, checking the 748 FDCs generally or looking for something like these with either 21590 LR Pl Blk or a LR 100 plate single.

As to the Plate number FDCs, those can be requested as a "want list" order from the usual FDC dealers. Likewise the request can make a simple classified or want ad in the American First Day Cover Society's, APS's or United States Stamp Society's respective journals. This way you get what you want without driving collectors or dealers insane looking for the missing period itself. Plate numbers stand out.

I am suggesting this under the impression that as both higher and lower plate numbers were available on the FD, yours should be too.

What you really want to find is an FD or other date cover with an OB/GYN corner card. Could be a start to a topical collection.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/22/2021 9:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
836 Posts
Posted 04/22/2021   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ParcelPostGuy

Thank you. I understand the missing period is only on stamp 100 on plate 21590. I look forward to the day when shows return. When they do I will certainly go on the hunt.
Valued Member
Canada
228 Posts
Posted 04/23/2021   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Referring to the OP, when I look at the blow up image, it looks like I see a white dot where the period should be. Are my eyes playing tricks on me?
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
Posted 04/23/2021   09:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pbmorris to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mine has the same thing.
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
Posted 04/23/2021   09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pbmorris to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe it was all a marketing ploy to sell more stamps...Just thinking out loud.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2376 Posts
Posted 04/23/2021   10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a fun variety. I appreciate seeing it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
836 Posts
Posted 04/23/2021   1:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Casey Magoo

I saw that also. Didn't know what to think. I checked two other copies I had and found each of them has this spot where the period would be. Images of the original post and the two other copies:

Looks like a constant feature of the 784 with a missing period after B.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 399Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05