Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Qv Penny Red, Some Help With Dating A Cover

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 978Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

United Kingdom
458 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   2:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jony78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi All

I'm seeing 1853 on the cds but maybe 1855 on the Airdrie box, any thoughts?

thanks
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
954 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1853. The loop of the 5 keeps descending longer, on the 3 it turns upward halfway again. Both are 1853.

Helensburgh?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by NSK - 04/25/2021 2:44 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
458 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jony78 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks NSK, so ill show a scan of the front for the next question.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
458 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jony78 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United Kingdom
458 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jony78 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Would this cover would be within date and known plates for a Henry Archer perf trial cover? or am I missing something?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32860 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion.
I'd rely on the CDS 1853
the date in the AIRDRIE box (In Blue) may have a 3 with a flat top.

The interest for me is the Box strike, presumably hand hammer with removable slugs, this is new for me.
Looking for other strikes with a "3" may solve your question
I'll look in Daniels Monograph see if rates a mention.

Only other boxed Airdrie I have seen is 1842

Pillar Of The Community
954 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, perforated Penny Reds would mean 1855.
And the numeral cancellation matches the date stamp: Helensburgh, Dumbartonshire.

What is the perforation gauge?

If the imperf. plate 167 dates from April 1853.
Edited by NSK - 04/25/2021 2:57 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
458 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   2:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jony78 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamp is perf 16,
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32860 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The HELENSBURGH cds, is a new type for the Philatelic Database
earliest they have is 1867 (Code letter at top)

Address? That's a tough one

7 Church Manse

Town?
Edited by rod222 - 04/25/2021 3:04 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
458 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   3:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jony78 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i thought / guessed it may be holy town?
Pillar Of The Community
954 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   3:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "5" in the Helensburg date stamp appears to be on top of an 8. I have some doubts about this item. The obliterator appears to tie the stamp to the entire at the left, but only in the centre, where it is smudged. In the northeast corner, it does not do so at all. On the right appears to be the fringe of another stamp, but there is not the slightest trace of the stamp on the entire.

The top two lines below the 76 in the obliterator appear to cover up another number.
Edited by NSK - 04/25/2021 3:16 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32860 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!
nice guess, HOLYTOWN Lanarkshire
Valued Member
United Kingdom
458 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jony78 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
the right side of the stamp is lifted from the cover, carefully bending it back reveals the outline of the stamp and a clean cover if you get my meaning but im starting to understand the concerns.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32860 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Numeral 76 is CARNOUSTIE Forfarshire
Does that fit?
No one has mentioned the RED strike, any ideas?

Aha! Numeral 176 is HELENSBURGH Dumbartonshire Tick
Edited by rod222 - 04/25/2021 3:28 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
458 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jony78 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
the cover was in an old collection I bought at my local auction house, I have 2 other covers similar but I think they fall outside of the trials , ill scan them.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
458 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jony78 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod the red box cancel is Holytown , its on the other cover im about to show...
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 978Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05