Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1862-'70 2 Cents Fancy Cancels?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 370Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
30 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JoeTheLucky to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So, (as the story goes)

I was going back through this bulk stamp lot I got in the mail 4 days ago and after finishing do the main sort I started to go back through it and in my 2 cent pile I noticed I got 4 of the bad boys, 3 of them being a slightly different type but they all have this fancy cursive on them, is this a pen hand-cancel or what exactly am I looking at here, I also cannot read them? Is this normal for these internal revenue stamps?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
662 Posts
Posted 04/26/2021   12:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are revenue stamps which were canceled by signature on documents as one way of cancellation of the revenues required on such documents.

Edit (based upon your question): The three stamps with the words "bank check" where revenue stamps used to collect a fee for the government for each personal check cashed. In other words check usage was taxed then to collect revenue for the government.

Many financial transactions were taxed then, in the time period since and continue to be now.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/26/2021 2:23 pm
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 04/26/2021   08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JoeTheLucky to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by JoeTheLucky - 04/26/2021 08:44 am
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 04/26/2021   08:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JoeTheLucky to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You mean it was used to ship envelopes, is that what you meant by documents?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7521 Posts
Posted 04/26/2021   08:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A document is an official paper, like a deed, marriage certificate etc

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
3660 Posts
Posted 04/26/2021   08:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Revenue stamps like these were used on checks, deeds, wills, and a lot of other official and legal papers to pay the tax on the document. The tax differed on each type of document. They had no postal power at all.

Your stamps were likely used on a check or receipt like these two, where the user applied his initials and a date to cancel the stamp

These would not be considered "fancy cancels"
Edited by John Becker - 04/26/2021 09:00 am
Valued Member
France
165 Posts
Posted 04/26/2021   4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add naufrago to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a permission for a grocery store
Pillar Of The Community
United States
729 Posts
Posted 04/26/2021   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
naufrago - The document you show is being taxed as a receipt. It acknowledges the remittance of $417.
Ron Lesher
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 370Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05