Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Understanding German Cover 1915

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 422Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
67 Posts
Posted 04/27/2021   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add MusicalStamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I obtained this cover in a group of other material and I am not sure what to make of it. Feldpost is a military mail? Also, I am presuming a date of February 11, 1915, but am not sure what to make of the rest of the cancellation. If anyone knows something about how to read this cover I'd be grateful. Thanks

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
855 Posts
Posted 04/27/2021   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In Europe, the day always comes before the month. 2.11. is the second day of the 11th month.
And yes, Feldpost is Field Post, i.e., military.

It is addressed to the Feld-Artillerie-Regiment General-Feldmarschall Graf Waldersee (Schleswigsches) Nr. 9 of the German Imperial Army established on 2 October 1866 and garrisoned in Itzenhoe, from 1890.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by NSK - 04/27/2021 5:57 pm
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
Posted 04/27/2021   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MusicalStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic! And thanks so much for the very quick response with more information than I could have imagined. Very helpful.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2326 Posts
Posted 04/27/2021   7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If anyone was wondering, the oval marking is a private one, for the orchestra club of Lyceum 1 in Hannover. Music topical in a Feldpost cover!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3072 Posts
Posted 04/27/2021   8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a very neat cover. :)

I can add a little:

"10-11 V" in the postmark refers to 10 to 11 in the morning (Vormittag).

I would guess that "R.K.B." refers to a specific artillery battery (Batterie).

I believe that "9. Züg." refers to the 9th platoon/troop/section (or whatever is the correct term for this level of unit when describing the German artillery).

However, I would have expected "9. Zug" here to be written without the umlaut (unlike the plural form Züge).

Perhaps NSK, hy-brasil or another member could confirm or correct these points?

Nigel
Valued Member
Canada
147 Posts
Posted 04/27/2021   10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is not an umlaut. In old German script to differentiate between an "n" and a "u", a hooked line was added over the "u" in a lot of hand written material.

As I am currently going through pages and pages of old German ancestry notes and graphs, that little hooked line at least lets me know where the vowel is amongst all of the up and down strokes!
Edited by PMStamp - 04/27/2021 10:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2478 Posts
Posted 04/27/2021   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "R.K.B." is likely a reference to this being a Bavarian regiment (Kingdom of Bavaria = Königreichs Bayern). Zug 9 is train 9.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Edited by PostmasterGS - 04/27/2021 10:47 pm
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
Posted 04/27/2021   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MusicalStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, thanks all for this help. I did know about the Lyceum music connection, as I try to focus on all music-related philatelic items. However, it is so good to have all of the rest of this information, especially as I do not read German. Thanks everyone.
Pillar Of The Community
855 Posts
Posted 04/28/2021   01:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A "Zug" is a platoon of 12 - 60 soldiers. It is part of a "Kompanie" or "Brigade."
Still not sure what R.K.B. is. I too started to go to the Bavarian 9th field-artillery regiment, but that has no relation to Itzehoe, whereas that of the Imperial German Army does. My guess is that K.B. means Kanonen-Batterie (canon battery). Maybe, they were reserves: Reserve-Kanonen-Batterie.

@PostmasterGS

This is one I do not agree with. I did come across a similar Bavarian Regiment. However that was not stationed in Itzehoe, in the German state of Schleswig-Holstein, but in Augsburg. The one of the Imperial German Army also named "Schleswig" Regiment was garrisoned in Itzehoe. I have very little doubt the letter was addressed to the regiment I mentioned.

http://genwiki.genealogy.net/FAR_9
http://genwiki.genealogy.net/KB_FAR_9

The Bavarian 9th regiment was disbanded in 1914 and then re-established but part of the 2nd field-artillery brigade.
Edited by NSK - 04/28/2021 04:18 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3072 Posts
Posted 04/28/2021   04:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PMStamp wrote:

Quote:
That is not an umlaut. In old German script to differentiate between an "n" and a "u", a hooked line was added over the "u" in a lot of hand written material.

As I am currently going through pages and pages of old German ancestry notes and graphs, that little hooked line at least lets me know where the vowel is amongst all of the up and down strokes!

Thanks very much for this!

I can appreciate your challenges with old German manuscripts.

They are usually too hard for me, especially when we have long chunks written in the Sütterlin style.

I have seen the Sütterlin "u" before but I had completely forgotten about it.

I must admit I usually stick to printed German and even then I try to avoid any books in a Fraktur/blackletter font.

Here's a snip from Wikipedia where we have set out in a column these three pairs of upper and lowercase German letters in their Sütterlin forms:

Nigel
Edited by nigelc - 04/28/2021 05:05 am
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
Posted 04/29/2021   8:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MusicalStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the note about German script. Very helpful and interesting.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 422Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05