Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is Happening With The Price Of Modern (After 2016) US Stamps?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 62 / Views: 5,709Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Letterpress to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
By the way, you can buy modern stamps for less than FV by getting them from business vendors vendors that sell to businesses, who are not even thinking about the world of philately.

One such outfit: https://buydiscountstamps.com/

Never used them, but I've been aware of them for years. $500 minimum. Discount is about 10%. Good selection.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
220 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is that like a legitimate outfit? Like if I bought 1000$ worth of forever stamps would they actually be real? The USPS is ok with companies like this?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3099 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   8:06 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"By the way, you can buy modern stamps for less than FV by getting them from business vendors vendors that sell to businesses, who are not even thinking about the world of philately."

Just because they sell to businesses doesn't mean they know nothing about which stamp carry a premium and even if they are clueless, they have to source their stamps from someone and their source likely knows.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9071 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is that like a legitimate outfit? Like if I bought 1000$ worth of forever stamps would they actually be real? The USPS is ok with companies like this?

It is no different than buying a face lot at auction. Stamps, as with most things, have a secondary market. The USPS made their money when first sold. Why should they care?
Valued Member
430 Posts
Posted 06/17/2022   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Revisiting this thread after a year.

Now that the stimulus payments are over and there is record inflation and energy prices coupled with a declining stock market, has that dampened the high prices on modern stamps we anecdotally saw last year? Every single person is negatively affected by inflation.
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
Posted 06/20/2022   10:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Letterpress to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I think it's very likely to be legitimate based on my digging a couple of years ago. Note that it's not unusual to be able to buy stamps below full price I used to see slight discounts on rolls and books on eBay all the time. There are different reasons for this, different supply chains for discounted stamps, like businesses that have a surplus and need to unload them they can't return them to the USPS after all.
Valued Member
430 Posts
Posted 07/16/2022   8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am still amazed that despite record inflation and very high fuel prices, demand and prices in my experience are steady on resale sites, with many sellers not lowering prices or entertaining much of a discount on best offers. Is philately impervious to the macroeconomy?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9071 Posts
Posted 07/16/2022   8:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you have the disposable income to play with stamps or classic cars or coins you are not in the same boat as the family of five working three jobs which is a very dismal place to be now. I do believe though at some undefined point you will see a big change in spending habits. 9% inflation is unsustainable for people in the middle and upper middle of the pack as it continues on its march. The bigger news this week was the wholesale price index of 11% which does not bode well for the future.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3568 Posts
Posted 07/17/2022   06:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Inflation can impact everyone differently and people's spending habits may invite questions during low inflation or high inflation. Mortgage rates are at 5% but many of us lived in a period when there were well over 10%. We lived through those times so not expecting an dramatic change now in behavior although there will be a lot of noise discussing it.

But back to the original post, my guess is if hoarder sold modern sheets they would still continue to less than face judging by dealer buy prices but there are some issues that command a premium but only to someone (dealer or collector) wanting the specific issues.
Al
Edited by angore - 07/17/2022 06:09 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3099 Posts
Posted 07/17/2022   6:28 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As fuel prices have declined, that should lead to a decline in inflation.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9071 Posts
Posted 07/17/2022   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As fuel prices have declined, that should lead to a decline in inflation.

Who knew it was that simple? Let's just become energy independent again like two years ago and we should be all set.
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
Posted 07/17/2022   8:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually fuel oil is up 98.5 % yoy, Unleaded gas is up 61.1 % in the same time period. We are energy independent, unfortunately in a global market those w/o have been purchasing a large amount of "our" petroleum. Wall Street Journal, (WSJ) 7/16/2022. It can get much worse, if the Europeans are cut off completely from their current suppliers then undoubtedly that price will rise as they bid up the price, a price Americans will have to match. You would think 360 million gallons a day would be sufficient, unfortunately we are using that and are competing for more. Good news, WSJ last week reported that Americans are starting to make changes to their gas usage and car buying, the F150 may not be the best selling vehicle forever. The same article also described those products that are down, televisions down 12.7% yoy, smart phones down 20% same time period. Also uncooked beef steaks down .3% yoy. Alas in the 378 or so items that are examined to make up the CPI stamps for stamp collecting was not included. In my opinion stamps are high, maybe not 2008 or so, but getting there.
Cheers, mark
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3099 Posts
Posted 07/17/2022   9:50 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Who knew it was that simple?

I am hardly saying fuel is the only cause of the current inflation, but it is a significant factor.

Quote:
Actually fuel oil is up 98.5 % yoy, Unleaded gas is up 61.1 % in the same time period.

yes, they are up big yoy, but in the last few weeks gas is down
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9071 Posts
Posted 07/17/2022   11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We are energy independent

A deceptive statement since LNG is not what we need for independence from begging Saudi, Venezuela and Iran for more crude to refine here.

Quote:
Good news, WSJ last week reported that Americans are starting to make changes to their gas usage and car buying, the F150 may not be the best selling vehicle forever.

Good news for whom? And why is modifying gas usage and trying to use a Rivian to move your cattle, welding equipment or boat around a positive when we have the World's largest petroleum deposits?

PS: Once it all really works in 50 years, I would be the first to use my EV to move my mini excavator which I can charge at the hundreds of thousands of charging stations which use wind and solar energy because they finally figured out how to store it when the wind does not blow, and the sun does not shine.

Valued Member
430 Posts
Posted 07/18/2022   6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I always thought of modern stamp collecting as a hobby for people of all incomes, just like collecting sports cards, with the numerical majority being in the middle range income wise. Most economics would agree that hobby spending declines during a recession or periods of high inflation, which is why the strong demand and high prices are puzzling.

I would expect that classic car collecting and interest in equestrian sports, both of which are primarily pursued by the rich haven't been impacted much by inflation.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 62 / Views: 5,709Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05