Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is Happening With The Price Of Modern (After 2016) US Stamps?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 62 / Views: 5,329Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8810 Posts
Posted 07/18/2022   6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see parallels between stamp sales and automobile sales right now. Record prices are being set at Siegel and other auction houses to this day and there is much competition. On the other hand lower end material is softening. The parallel is that Bentley, Rolls Royce and BMW cannot produce cars fast enough but the repossession rate for used cars with loans has doubled for prime lenders.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
427 Posts
Posted 07/18/2022   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam: Interesting parallel. From your experience, do you think stamp collectors are in the middle range as far as income and spending habits?
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 08/07/2022   07:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Thinkstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see modern stamp cost being not just high in relation to face but especially difficult to even see a listing of a modern mint US stamp (post 1985) that has a modest catalog value. Most that I am missing are non-commemoratives that, to me, are face different, such as having different year date or a different year date size. They are listed in Scott with a minor number and are usually from a booklet or coil.

One could possibly get them by buying large face lots or buy mint collections in the hope a minor Scott number is included. But I don't want to spend hundreds to thousands to get all that face value postage just on the chance a lot will have the 20 or so 0.29 to 0.50 cent issues I am missing.

True, I've only looked at Hipstamps and APS online sales. Occasionally there is a stamp listed but it is usually high, 2x to 5x+ catalog value. But are there other sources that would be any different?
Valued Member
208 Posts
Posted 08/07/2022   10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kenmore sells many modern US used, water activated gum stamps for 20 cents, though mint examples are not as inexpensive. https://www.kenmorestamp.com
Valued Member
United States
13 Posts
Posted 08/07/2022   9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moonwalker925 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I highly recommend for any serious collector of modern day stamps and all their many varieties … Jim Bardo's excellent online stamp store. He literally single handed lay filled most of my recent Lighthouse Hingeless US album… which for post 2001 has thousands of stamps it seems in countless variations . He is a great guy to work with, and will give you all the attention you need to solve and answer any questions for us new collectors.

Has over 6,000 US stamps in stock !

Bardostamps.com is well worth the effort !
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3505 Posts
Posted 08/08/2022   06:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had done business with Bardo Stamps. He does carry a lot of the minor verities in a well laid off online store.
Al
Valued Member
United States
451 Posts
Posted 08/08/2022   06:30 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a very nice store. I have bookmarked it.

Please forgive me for saying this, but I would shop around as far as the prices go. As a collector, I see no upside in paying double face for MNH modern issues. Unless, of course, you absolutely cannot obtain what you need elsewhere...

John
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3505 Posts
Posted 08/08/2022   3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, you are paying for this extensive stock and presentation.
Al
Valued Member
24 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   01:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add caspian65 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My US collection is up to date to 2021 in a Scott National album.

The order I go is:
-Buy panels/sheets direct from USPS, use excess for postage
-Check usatface.com
-Hipstamp/ebay

For the pages/mounts and stamps, I'd estimate maybe about $250 a year to keep things up to date. I'd rather be spending that on older stamps, but in the grand scheme of things, it's a small price to pay to subdue my OCD when it comes to collecting ;-)

Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Thinkstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the recommendations. Good to know the sources others use such as the recommendations of Kenmore and Bardo. Bardo seems to have most of the varieties I'm missing.
Valued Member
United States
13 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moonwalker925 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Curious as to everyone knowing about this plethora of modern day post 1990 US varieties .

They are extensively listed in the US Lighthouse albums at least in my copy whose base pages are 2019 . Not sure if older editions say from the 80's kept current with supplements only have all these varieties .

Are they listed in Scott's National pages, Shabeck , Davo, SAFE, Lindner etc ? Does everyone collecting modern day know of all these stamps even existing ?

As far as I know , only Bardo has the vast majority of these items . It really is quite an area , perhaps over looked when so many long time collectors complain about the "Wall paper" that has been issued the last 40 years .

It literally took me a few dedicated years even with time during lockdown to track all these down . Be careful on eBay , not all varieties being sold there are the actual stamps they claim to be
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1344 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I stopped collecting modern U.S. stamps at the end of 2020. But when I was actively collecting, my most frequent source for difficult to find modern U.S. definitives was eBay seller tbrstamps. If you can't find a specific definitive in his eBay store, just ask ... he likely has it available. I also have never seen him make an id error ... a not inconsiderable feat considering all the minor perf & tagging varieties that have been produced. Before I discovered him on eBay, collecting minor varieties was frustrating ... many (probably most) sellers didn't bother with tagging and those that did would occasionally misidentify stamps. Which, of course, could often only be discovered under a UV lamp after delivery.
Valued Member
United States
190 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Craig Selig also has lots of modern varieties. Some that Bardo doesn't list, like hi-brite ones if they exist. Done lots of business with him.
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
Posted 08/19/2022   03:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add l2y to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Curious as to everyone knowing about this plethora of modern day post 1990 US varieties .

They are extensively listed in the US Lighthouse albums at least in my copy whose base pages are 2019 . Not sure if older editions say from the 80's kept current with supplements only have all these varieties .

Are they listed in Scott's National pages, Shabeck , Davo, SAFE, Lindner etc ? Does everyone collecting modern day know of all these stamps even existing

As a collector on a budget of post 1959 US stamps, I have been using the HE Harris Liberty albums as a back-up to my self-made topical US album. I have to say that Harris does have a lot of varieties listed for each stamp.

As for buying stamps, I collect used stamps (personal preference) and just the other day discovered that Hip Stamp had very recent stamps far below CV and must cheaper than my scheme of buying new stamps and mailing them to myself to get used ones. The down side though ishaving to pay several sellers shipping instead of just one person. It adds a lot to the cost of a stamp.
Edited by l2y - 08/19/2022 06:05 am
Valued Member
102 Posts
Posted 08/20/2022   8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris s to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I checked the Bardostamps.com site - nice selection but I find some of the prices high - $30 for a pane of PTSD semi-postal stamps which you can get easily from the USPS site for $15 (https://store.usps.com/store/result...tid=162881).

The usatface.com is a great deal and I would add the Itty Bitty Stamp Company has sales on stamps from the 1940's till early 2000's at half face value. All unused but range from MNH to MH.

I also enjoy getting grabbags from eBay --- it takes some trial and error but I find those offered by long-time collectors seeking to reduce their holdings may offer some stamps to complete series.

For more recent issues you could try Stamp Yearbook as I did but I find the price shoots up for those after 2004. Before then, the price is below original USPS price.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 62 / Views: 5,329Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05