Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Catalog/Articles On Ottmar Zieher Stamp Design Postcards?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 376Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5170 Posts
Posted 04/28/2021   8:43 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My Google-fu is failing me. Has there ever been a catalogue, definitive listing, or extensive article(s) on the Ottmar Zieher postcards and their knock-offs and reprints?

For reference, the images below are the types of cards that I'm referring to. Apparently there were numerous makers although the concept originated with Zieher.

(images lifted from eBay)

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32214 Posts
Posted 04/28/2021   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Only reference I have is in a New Zealand context
Muir and Moodie Cards.
Author was jdPyle at xtra.co.nz in 2012

My Turkey Zieher lists at $30

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5607 Posts
Posted 04/29/2021   02:29 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those interested can blow some money here

https://www.warwickandwarwick.com/a...logue/267950
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5170 Posts
Posted 04/29/2021   05:19 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link, but what a miserable website that is functionally. Also, only 1 image and a 2-3 sentence description; not a chance.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5607 Posts
Posted 04/29/2021   05:24 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to UK auction sites. Additional info/pics are often available. I don't find the site a problem, but I'm just used to it.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3072 Posts
Posted 04/29/2021   10:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's very nice to see these.

I've collected a few of these over the years but don't know much about them and would be keen to learn more.

Here are the ones I have:

13 - Germany - Zierer

15 - Queensland - ?

16 - Hungary - Zieher

23 - Luxembourg - Zieher

39 - Switzerland - Zieher

50? - Egypt - Zieher

57 - German Post Offices in Morocco - Zieher

59 - New Zealand - Zieher

63 - Congo - Zieher

69 - Bosnia & Herzegovina - Zieher

88 - Mauritius - Zieher

I don't see a publisher's name on the Queensland card but the style is very much the same.

It looks as though the publisher's information was added in a separate step, usually in a very faint grey colour saying something like:

"Philatelie-Ansichtscarte Gesetzl. geschützt. D. R. G. M. 222744. Ottmar Zieher, München"

or essentially,

"Philatelic picture postcard. Legally protected... Ottmar Zieher, Munich"

and maybe this step was missed on my card or it has simply faded away.

From a website on toy saxophones (!) I found out that D.R.G.M. referred to the "Deutsches Reichsgebrauchsmuster" (which is sometimes split into more words).

This site stated that:

"The D.R.G.M. was a way for inventors to register a product's design or function in all states within Germany.

From 1891 to 1952, products manufactured in Germany might have been stamped with this D.R.G.M. designation, if the manufacturer opted not to pay the outrageous patent fees that Germany was charging, but instead chose to copyright their product's intended way of use, or design.

This copyright was initially for a period of 3 years, with an option to extend it for another 3. This gave the copyright owner a maximum of 6 years protection."

So I guess this was basically an assertion that was a registered design.

The publisher details on my cards vary a little with my Swiss card saying:

"Carte philatelie deposé. D. R. G. M. 222 744. O.Z.M."

Most have the other side printed in the style of the country of the stamps along with the country name.

Unusually my Queensland card has the instruction, "For Postage in the United Kingdom only."

I wonder if this reflected its printing around the date when the UK started to permit divided back cards?

All of mine have a divided back apart from the Egyptian one which is undivided.

I guess that the original designs were created for undivided back cards leaving a blank area below the stamps for a message.

I suspect the Egyptian one is from an earlier series, as apart from layout of the back, the design involves a fair amount of embossing which I don't see on my other cards.
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5170 Posts
Posted 04/29/2021   10:26 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a number inbound, at which point I'm going to sit down and scan them at high resolution and start differentiating them, from originals with embossing, to reprints sans embossing, to other makers.

A helpful eBay seller who was selling quite a few of these gave me this information when I inquired:

Quote:
That collection of cards came from an exhibit. I don't know of any reference works per se for these cards. Given below is the main emphasis:

Zieher published four series of cards with the first being by far the most extensive. In the first series there were stamp cards for 81 countries. In the first series Zieher tried to number serially the designs used for each country. The number on the face of most card is located at the top left, however seven are at the top right and six are at the top center. In the numerical series between No.1 and No. 114 are blanks where no country is designated, In addition there are a few cards without any assigned number, these being Belgium, United States and Kiachau. In the first series there are four basic types. Type 1 Outer border of lines and a framed rectangular message area. Type 2 Outer border of lines and an open message area. Type 3 Outer border of stripes and an open message area. Type 4 Outer border of stripes, open message area and a map added at lower right.
Edited by revenuecollector - 04/29/2021 10:28 am
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3099 Posts
Posted 04/29/2021   10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A listing of some with numbered pics...(cartes philateliques)
https://www.cparama.com/forum/carte...n-t4283.html
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5170 Posts
Posted 04/29/2021   11:07 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link. As time goes on I'm becoming more enamored with them, especially the challenge of trying to find as many as possible postally used from the same country as depicted on the front. Some could be quite tough. Unused cards far outnumber used cards to begin with, let alone usage aligning with the depicted country.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1133 Posts
Posted 04/29/2021   10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been tempted to collect these myself, but I have only one at present. It's in my Esperanto collection, but it depicts Russian stamps and was used in Russia in 1907.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5607 Posts
Posted 05/03/2021   09:28 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A still more arcane area - postcards on cigarette cards. From a set of 50 issued by F&J Smith of Glasgow, and known as "A Tour Round the World". Sadly, my only example has been glued into an album or scrapbook at some point.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5607 Posts
Posted 05/22/2021   5:31 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The auction lot I linked to above went for £160, so the best part of £200 with buyer's premium.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 376Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05