Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Am New Here. Needing Help With Identifying Fake Forever Stamps.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 192Next Topic  

United States
0 Posts
Posted 05/01/2021   02:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add koreys to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

As the subject states, I'm new here.

Anyway, I came across posts in this forum through a search engine.

I purchased some Forever Stamps through an online auction site. I didn't initially suspect a fraudulent stamp issue and I checked the user's feedback rating, which was 100% positive.

However, I didn't initially read the reviews and the associated links to the auction items for each review. I just went off of the 100% positive rating. Anyway, after purchasing, I went back and and looked at the items associated with the reviews and none of them were associated with the Forever (Flag) postage stamps even though the auction showed a large percentage of the stamps sold.

I haven't received the stamps yet, but I realize that someone selling stamps (or anything else) can use "stock" images.

Any suggestions?

Korey
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
524 Posts
Posted 05/01/2021   02:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While you did not say which "online auction site" you used, it is a well know secret that many fake forever stamps are peddled on eBay. Real forever stamps too show up on eBay at the same discounted pricing and are likely those which "feel off the truck" or left via "the side door" or otherwise "liberated" from a unsuspecting former owner.

It is so bad now a days, the main US Stamp Catalog, Scott Specialized Catalogue of United States Stamps & Covers has pages of entries of counterfeit stamps produced and sold to the public.

What you purchased should show up eventually.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 05/01/2021 02:28 am
Valued Member
United States
481 Posts
Posted 05/01/2021   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
koreys,

Collecting for the enjoyment of collecting, whatever that might be, is the name of the game. Don't hesitate to ask questions especially if you need basic information and especially more advanced sources of information for any possible topic. You should be able to find folks on this board a little further along on their collecting journey glad to share experiences. Russ
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6241 Posts
Posted 05/01/2021   08:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Koreys - If you use this forum's search engine specifically it will return a trove of info including ID of fake Forever stamps and some great links to help you out. The USPS estimates losses due to these fakes to be in the hundreds of millions of dollars so it is no small crime in sum total.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7431 Posts
Posted 05/01/2021   08:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Koreys, another suggestion. When your order arrives post a good, sharp picture or scan of a stamp here. We can usually tell what is going on

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 05/01/2021 08:51 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
501 Posts
Posted 05/01/2021   10:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you own a UV lamp useful for identifying tagging, you have a quick way to determine if the stamps are genuine. Not a guarantee, but almost all counterfeits are untagged. It is possible that a genuine stamp can be untagged, but if it is not tagged then further inspection is needed. The section on Postal Counterfeits will give you excellent information on previously identified postal counterfeits.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 192Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05