Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott Specialized US Catalog.time For A Discussion?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 47 / Views: 2,177Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1565 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Taxpaid Revenuer: welcome to the Forum! You wrote: ".....this left me with a light weight 'travel copy' I used on trips...." Good thought.

Someone earlier wrote about having to lug a huge catalog around to shows. I don't know why anyone would do that when a simple want list would suffice, I would think.

gvol21: "how do we convince more folks to become authors?" One quick solution is to not screw up their name, as happened to me with an article published earlier this year in a quarterly journal. I wrote in the editor to complain and got no reply. Yes, we are all volunteers. But it does take time to prepare articles, especially if extensive research is needed. If editors aren't welcoming and helpful, they shouldn't complain about lack of articles.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
622 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   6:12 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't know why anyone would do that when a simple want list would suffice,

All well and good if you're just planning on filling your want list, but many times I will see something I like and need to check the details to see if I should plunk down my cash.
Valued Member
149 Posts
Posted 06/20/2021   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A reason dealers/collectors need new every year is (1 - they can afford it ), they like/need to stay current

As far as catalog pricing, like the stock market, they don't always go up. After the "Great Scott!" catalog readjustment of 1988, there were many unhappy people (dealers and collectors) when their stock lost "value". I do remember for years after, sellers would still refer to the old 1988 prices.

My last Scott series was a 2010 used pickup on eBay, if I remember was about $100.still working for me. I do pick up specialized countries I like.
Pat
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
Posted 06/20/2021   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamp Hunting to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that we need better access to information, quicker, accurate, and most of all, that we can carry. I have been a collector for almost 50 years now. The most important thing I've learned is that I'm always learning about this hobby.

Don is correct about the vast amount of knowledge being lost everyday. He is also correct in that a free publishing world also means free to tell tales. I worked for decades in IT. Telling tales started as soon as the web began.

I use several things when looking for stamps and trying to access information about them. I'm very use to the net because I have been working around and on it almost since it began. It was my living. I use a online database that stores my virtual collection. I use various search engines/forums/societies to locate stamps that are the same for comparison of the stamp and prices.

There are enough threads here that detail the pitfalls of using such things and the reasons why. My point is that we are always learning. Scott does have digital catalogs, You pay for access to it every year. Also each catalog you wish to access. They still have a ways to go, but they are getting there. They do learn, at a slow pace yet they do learn.

Anyone owning a website about stamps, not a store, needs to understand how to get them on the search engines. Example is this forum, I have lurked on it for years. Using it for so much information that I forgotten how much I've learned. I actually find stuff easier on this forum using an outside search engine then I do the internal one. NO shade, its my learning curve not the builder of the site. Knowing how to get your articles to come up in search engines is paramount. This forum is a great example.

Remember a little bit of knowledge is dangerous in the wrong hands. Yet we demand access to all knowledge when we want it. The whole point of this long winded diatribe, is that we all need to embrace technology, in all aspects of this hobby. That will be the only way to get the tech generation and future generations interested in this hobby.

Case in point, I've worked with this technology for decades. I refused to use it for anything in my private life other than the normal social media crap. I didn't want to be a techie in my private life, so I didn't. I have lost a ton of knowledge over the years because of these very antiquated morals about a hobby I love and believed how it should be done. Yes, I get the irony. LOL I have since started to join the digital factions/forums, virtual collections, and generally being apart of the discussion.

This very forum is digitizing that knowledge everyday. With every post, and every discussion, even the ones I don't agree with. These discussions are out there for others to learn from. I know, it brought me here to join in. We need to be more accepting and patient with newbies trying to identify that US Scott #499. We also need to hold expertizing organizations to one standard for all of these organizations(Sorry discussion for another day). We need to keep posting and sharing.
Valued Member
149 Posts
Posted 06/20/2021   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For those who "part out, rip out, cut out sections from there own whole catalog", there are sellers on eBay parting out country selections from new 2021 Scotts. I've got a few as needed.
Pat
Valued Member
United States
270 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I could see it split in to regular and back of the book. It is getting to be a handful but I'm OK with it as one volume for now. The only bad part of splitting it would be the price increase, who needs that. It's high enough already.

Heck I'd be even happier if they made a tabbed 3-ring loose lief version and just sold update pages.

Over all I'd prefer digital and still have the 2007 set on disk but I don't like the subscription methods. The folks at Scott's/Amos are pretty clueless when it comes to information/cyber security no matter how it's explained to them. As that's my bread and butter (~36 years), I've tried on a couple occasions. As Don said, paper isn't secure either. I've copied sections quickly for my own use and to scribble on while keeping my original clean.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7494 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
People keep talking about "splitting it in to regular and back of the book". Which areas are actually "back of the book", though. BOB generally means anything that is not postage, but postage collectors would hate to see the C,E, or J sections leave. Or the FDC or booklet panes leave, either. What about the vending and imperf coils? And how many postage collectors include proofs as well? At the end of the day, it would still be at least 60% as big as it is now, and possibly more. It's just not a practical approach.
Valued Member
United States
270 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
revcollector: For the sake of a friendly discussion, I'd consider anything other than regular/commemorative postage as back of the book (basically, anything with a prefix), even though I collect most of the back of the book items. So, if you kept the regular/commemorative postage, first day cover info, coil(all) and booklet, quantities issued sections, vending and maybe the souvenir. I'd bet a majority of stamp collectors, particularly the occasional and novice collectors would be satisfied.

Let me clarify my thought on splitting the A1. I wouldn't see any sections as "leaving" per se. I realize Amos would more than likely bump the price up and sell both separately but I'd like to see it in two volumes but still sold together as a single product. Just easier to handle when dragging it to to a club or on safari at a local show/auction, etc. I don't really see anything impracticable about it as it would just about cut it in half and I'm usually only working on one section at a time anyways.

In my view, territories, CSA and UN could even be a third volume. The more I think about it the more I like the modular possibilities an update-able tabbed 3 ringed loose lief version would offer but I'd hate what Amos would do to the bottom-line complete price.

One advantage for young/early collectors to have everything in one, would be exposure to the other areas of stamp collecting.

People like you and I would of course wind up buying the US volume(s) anyway they packaged it. All of this simply comes down to just my opinion for what that's worth. Although I've tried a few times over the years, I've never been able to influence Amos to do anything anyways. They usually wind up doing the opposite.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
641 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DJCMHOH to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The issue with Scott (and Gibbons) digital model is that it is NOT a subscription. When you buy the digital 2021 US specialized, you get access to that edition only, since you make a "one and done" payment, not a yearly renewal fee.

Contrast this to Yvert in France where for approx. US$150/year you get access to all of Yvert's catalogues (close to two dozen titles in total), and get the latest editions if a new one is released during your subscription.

If Scott and Gibbons really want to do digital properly, they should take a page from Yvert's playbook.
APS #173088
Edited by DJCMHOH - 06/23/2021 1:30 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
622 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   1:36 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess what I would like to see is just the revenues (including proofs, essays, etc.) split out from the rest of the catalog. If that were to happen, then the revenue specialized could be expanded to include taxpaids, special tax stamps, etc. I know there are already catalogs for these items, but they are so old that the information is woefully lacking and some have outdated pricing if any pricing at all.

Anyway, I do like the idea of a three-ring version with yearly updates rather than a whole new printed catalog.
Valued Member
United States
270 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   1:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DJCMHOH... true. I made the subscription comment as a slur. Mainly because you do not get access to it in perpetuate. Way back when they started the online edition, there is/was a time limit, can't recall what is it now but it seems to me it's something like a couple years. So in that way, I see it as a subscription or rental at full price. Admittedly I have not looked since then so I'm not sure what "duration" you get now. Alternately, when I buy a disk or book it's mine.
Edited by jconey - 06/23/2021 1:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1028 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jconey,

I bit the Scott Online bullet in 2016 and got the US Specialized Catalog. It still works, as clunky as it is....
I wasn't aware of any time frame. I guess I'll find out...

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2647 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   7:47 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For those of you hoping for an updatable 3 ring version - it won't happen. Because of ads ot things like the addition of cover prices for the Prominent Americans definitive series etc., the page location of any particular stamp is not always the same from year to year. It would also complicate selling ads - is the ad going on a page that is going to updated next year or not be updated for years?
Learn More...
9501 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   7:56 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Online subscription models include 'micropayments'; I would be willing to try this approach if a catalog publisher were to adopt it. I like the idea of only paying for the lookups that I need and not paying for trees, shipping costs, and content that I do not need or use. More info here from Stanford Uni...
https://cs.stanford.edu/people/erob...history.html
Don
Valued Member
United States
270 Posts
Posted 06/24/2021   09:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Eye on the wall: I agree that it will never happen. But it could be done it would just require a slight restructuring of the catalog. Ads could still be embedded in the new pages. One of the points was that you could just buy or subscribe to the entire thing or just sections you need (modularity). Other issues would also crop up like better paper stock and so on.

Having wasted the time to say all that, this should have been an option in the past but it's time has largely come and gone. Personally, I admit to being some what of a relic. For sort sorting and searching there are times I prefer paper but going forward digital would be more in demand as the consumer base goes in that direction. Again I prefer local rather than online although others will vehemently disagree.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 47 / Views: 2,177Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05