Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Seeking Advice On The Authenticity Of 1912 Chinese Imperial Post Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 242Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
Posted 05/02/2021   10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ajc_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello!
My grandfather collected many Chinese stamps in his lifetime. When he passed away, his primary collection was sold at auction.

When we were cleaning the house that he lived in, we found a box, filled with nearly 1,900 Chinese Imperial Post Stamps, all with the Chinese Imperial Post Overprint. They are not worth much individually: only a couple of dollars each. But together, they are something that our family needs to sell.

However, we know that he did have some forgeries in his collection that he marked as such. These stamp were not marked, but they could be forgeries anyway. I don't want to sell them to others if they aren't genuine. The stamps would have been passed over, real or fake, because they were outside of the focus and value range of the collection.

I know that with coins, relatively experienced collectors can identify most fakes from photographs. I am not sure if the same applies to stamps, but if anyone can tell if they are genuine or not, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5240 Posts
Posted 05/02/2021   11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your stamps are real . The best thing you can do is have a experience person look at them . There could be something important in there .

If there is nothing important ,you still can get a nice price for all of them in a sale . Figure a few hundred dollars, maybe 400 or $500.00 just as regular issues . But I would want someone to look thru them first .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
649 Posts
Posted 05/02/2021   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good advice from floortrader. You might contact the American Philatelic Society for guidance and, perhaps, for the name of someone in your area who would be qualified to provide an honest assessment and advice on where & how to sell.
United States
2 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ajc_coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, will do!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
649 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You might also contact the China Stamp Society: https://www.chinastampsociety.org/
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 242Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05