Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Standard Envelope Service Now Available To Stamps, Postcards, And Coins Categories

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,841Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5278 Posts
Posted 05/02/2021   6:14 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Announced today (or late last week):

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Annou...a-p/31822590

It's showing up now in my shipping options for sales from those categories.

Updated information page on the Standard Envelope Service:

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-cente...nvelope.html
Send note to Staff
Edited by revenuecollector - 05/02/2021 6:43 pm

Learn More...
9772 Posts
Posted 05/02/2021   7:02 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for posting.

Quote:

- Ship no more than 10 stamps or 3 postcards/postal history items
- Plate blocks that fit the eBay standard envelope dimensions are allowed
- No coils or sheets of stamps
- No graded stamps

I find these a bit odd.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5278 Posts
Posted 05/02/2021   7:18 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, sounds like some of the policies were crafted by someone(s) who know nothing about stamps.

Based upon eBay community discussions, the "no more than 10, 5, 3, etc" are recommendations; you're fine as long as you're under the 3-ounce weight limit of the envelope.

Coils of stamps wouldn't fit in a flat envelope, and most "sheets" of stamps wouldn't fit within the maximum dimensions, so I get what they're striving for, just not written well.

I think that the graded stamp prohibition is based upon the PSE slabs, which nobody actually uses anymore.
Valued Member
United States
498 Posts
Posted 05/02/2021   7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful news.
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
Posted 05/02/2021   10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great news, Now to figure out how to print it directly on an envelope. Not having any luck so far.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
678 Posts
Posted 05/03/2021   07:20 am  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting that - you'd think eBay would be a little more aggressive in pushing out to sellers (like me) who sell thousands of items a year that fit in this range.

I think the combined limit of $50 is different than what they did with trading cards, at least to start.

I will be experimenting with it. Unfortunate that it can't be paid for in stamps but the benefits are significant.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5278 Posts
Posted 05/03/2021   07:34 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Keep in mind that the "tracking" is done all via sensors at the regional USPS sorting centers. You cannot get acceptance scans at a USPS counter and you cannot look up the tracking numbers at usps.com.

You can check tracking here: https://www.trackmyshipment.co/shipment-tracking

Seller experiences are all over the map, with many items reported not being consistently tracked. However, as there is (supposedly) $20 protection for single listing shipments and $50 for aggregate, you should be made whole by eBay in the event of a nondelivery claim. I have no firsthand experience with this yet.

In all candor, I will be using this service with shipments that I would not have had tracking for anyway, and thus would have been vulnerable to nondelivery claims regardless, so any tracking is a bonus.

There is a lengthy thread in the eBay Community going back to December about this service: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipp...d-p/31443900

I am still concerned about the seeming disconnect between eBay's recommendations for mailers to use, which include their branded RIGID 5x7 and 6x8 mailers, and the requirement that these items be machineable, i.e., be able to wrap around the spindles in the sorting equipment. I have both of these mailers from eBay and they are some of the most sturdy rigid cardboard mailers I have ever encountered.

I'll just have to try it out and see.

The advantage (to me) of this service is optimization and effeciency, along with the possibility of once again reaching the tracking requirements for Top Rated Seller, which I long ago stopped chasing due to the tracking requirements.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5517 Posts
Posted 05/03/2021   07:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The abuse by eBay buyers especially the new people with low feedback had gotten out of hand . The claim of "NOT RECEIVED " has jumped up to levels that sellers are going crazy to find a answer and all the time eBay shown no support to the thievery . Now they came out with this program .
Edited by floortrader - 05/03/2021 07:51 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
678 Posts
Posted 05/03/2021   11:17 am  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
well, someone paid for a $15.99 item so I gave the new shipping format a try. I received a PDF of a rectangular label that is well sized for 6x8 but not usable for say, a #10 envelope, and is virtually impossible to format or work with.

It occurs to me that when you go through the prompt to print the label, you are asked to input the package dimensions. I didn't do that this time, and it may well be part of the problem. Next item, I will input that data and see what I get - we'll see if the label is responsive to item size.
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
Posted 05/03/2021   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Inkmanno1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was excited when it was announced last year for tracking lower cost shipments.

After reading a bunch of the sports card sellers feedback about the system and it's operation, it sounds and looks like a mess.

As an example, most items $25 or under, I ship first class with no tracking. Of thousands of those I've had a handful last year that got lost (supposedly) and none this year so far. So for the tracking in my little corner of the world, I see zero benefit when compared to first class stamped with the postage usually about 1/2 cost bulk postage stamps from auctions and collections. Why pay full price for supposedly peace of mind tracking when most goes thru with no issues anyway?

In essence, the postage amount charged for this service is imho a waste of time and money if you ship hundreds/thousands a year at 1/2 the regular rate (discount postage) and nearly all get delivered as is normal.

One other factor that I believe causes issues with the card sellers is the demographic. Philatelists have been getting stamps via 1st class mail forever, along with approvals depending on cost of order and tend to be on the older end of the spectrum compared to card collectors who I believe are a much younger generation for the most part. I'll leave that for anyone to "get" what I'm saying without actually saying it ;)

Hope I'm making sense with this.
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 05/03/2021   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chiapas to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have used this on baseball card sales and it works very well. Just have to turn the printer down to 75-80% size so you can cut it and tape it to fit on an envelope.
Sadly, as I enjoy mailing my stamp sales with a lot of stamps = 55 cents and also receiving stamps I bought on eBay with envelopes with plenty of stamps-that may be gone in the future. The benefit of tracking with the loss of using and getting stamps on the envelope...

Pillar Of The Community
United States
678 Posts
Posted 05/04/2021   08:48 am  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ran a few more this morning and concluded that the label is not responsive to input of package size.

In other words, you CANNOT get a label that is fit for a #10 envelope or print directly on an envelope without going through a variety of machinations with your printer and shrink the size so it only covers half the envelope. Totally unusable for anyone shipping volume.

i.e., eBay prepared a "plain white envelope" mailing service that doesn't work with plain white envelopes. How did this even make it out of testing, much less get expanded after its initial implementation with cards?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5278 Posts
Posted 05/04/2021   3:21 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Neither eBay nor PayPal's label sizes have ever had anything to do with the physical dimensions of the item being shipped. It's all based upon the output size of the paper sheet or label that you are printing to. Nothing new.

Late last year I switched to standard 4"x6" thermal labels (either roll fed or accordion fed) and that size works swimmingly for anything. Just configure your settings in eBay or PayPal to format for 4"x6" (or 100mm x 150mm) sheet, select autofit, and you're off to the races.

The only issue are labels for international shipments, but that problem is easily solved using the cropping tool in Adobe Acrobat DC.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
678 Posts
Posted 05/04/2021   4:41 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why should I have to spend another 3-5 cents an item for labels and generate all the waste from backing paper when these should be set to print directly and without fuss on an envelope? I just don't get why their system isn't set for the obvious and intended use of a #10 envelope. But then, I'm just grumpy and have to figure all of the changes in business processes and costs/benefits of the different options.

Curious if you use a dedicated thermal printer for your labels, or if you run on your regular printer. I suppose it would be easy enough to take fanfold and separate them so they can be singly fed in between printing packing slips, if the thermal labels tolerate laser toner (I suspect many do not). but thermal printers seem readily available and not very expensive (plus no toner, nice touch).
Learn More...
9772 Posts
Posted 05/04/2021   5:01 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FedEx supplies free thermal printers if you have FedEx Ship Manager account and ship with them; you have to buy the labels. UPS has a similar deal. If you buy your own, I recommend Zebra printers. I've used them for decades and they hold up well and are trouble free. Their entry level Refurbished printer is $30 delivered to your door 283754451309
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5278 Posts
Posted 05/04/2021   5:22 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just don't get why their system isn't set for the obvious and intended use of a #10 envelope.

Because people printing directly onto #10 envelopes is such a TINY percentage of their audience that it was likely never even considered. Remember, eBay and PayPal's recommended/encouraged shipping methods are those that include tracking, NOT a bunch of fuddy duddy old folks licking and sticking stamps on #10 envelopes. Sorry, but it's true. Most sellers either print 1-up or 2-up on 8.5x11 sheets (either paper or labels) or use industry-standard 4x6 labels. Those two sheet sizes probably encompass well more than 50% of eBay & PayPal shippers.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,841Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05