Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Standard Envelope Service Now Available To Stamps, Postcards, And Coins Categories

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,845Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
678 Posts
Posted 05/04/2021   5:54 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The product is called " eBay standard envelope". I rest my case.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5278 Posts
Posted 05/04/2021   5:57 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would have thought that you would know by now... anything that eBay declares as "standard" is typically anything but.
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
Posted 05/04/2021   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Or as I do, simply print it on a sheet of paper, snip snip and a little glue stick and voila an envelope. No sticker or envelope to buy.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2010 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am still concerned about the seeming disconnect between eBay's recommendations for mailers to use, which include their branded RIGID 5x7 and 6x8 mailers, and the requirement that these items be machineable, i.e., be able to wrap around the spindles in the sorting equipment.

I find this most curious as well. They mention that there's a limit of 2 trading cards in toploaders...but the purpose of toploaders is to provide rigidity in shipping. Seems someone there doesn't understand much about these shipments.

Anyway, my main question is whether there's a way to account for the USPS non-machinable surcharge when printing postage? Since they say mailings shouldn't be too rigid, I assume not. For a 1 oz non-machinable mailing, would it be possible to just print a 1 oz " eBay standard envelope" at 51 cents and just add a 20 cent stamp to cover the non-machinable surcharge? I assume one could just print a 2 oz envelope, which would be the same rate, but not sure if the USPS would reject it because the label would mention a 2 oz weight and nothing about being non-machinable. I use a red "DO NOT BEND" rubber stamp on all mailings I don't want to go through the sorting machines, so there shouldn't be any confusion on the USPS's part on which part of the mails tream they should go through.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5278 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   11:13 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I used this service on 2 shipments this week (small sample I know). The clerk who took them in over the counter didn't bat an eye, so one hurdle successfully navigated. As of late yesterday, both shipments were showing tracking points within eBay, with one delivered and one out for delivery. So barring false delivery notifications (that's apparently been an issue as there is no carrier-level delivery scan), it seems to be doing what was intended.

That said, these two shipments used "semi-rigid" cardboard mailers that I have a stock of rather than eBay's fully-rigid mailers that they recommend. I'm still a little hinky about using mailers that might not bend around the spindles of the sorting equipment.
Edited by revenuecollector - 05/07/2021 11:14 am
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gibby01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the flip side, I received one yesterday. eBay shows it delivered, and it was.
Edited by Gibby01 - 05/07/2021 5:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1197 Posts
Posted 05/08/2021   10:04 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't seem to get the standard envelope choice to become available. I have it set to 1x6x8 and 3 ounces with a price of $40. Shouldn't that work or is the $20 limit still in place?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5278 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   10:00 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Still a limit of $20. If the transaction total including shipping and I believe sales tax goes over $20, no go.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1197 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   10:18 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well that's rather lame.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
678 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   9:20 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm hoping the limit will increase after further experience on the eBay side. I don't typically use tracking on my stuff until an item hits $50, so there's still a pretty big gap in that $20-$50 range for me. I sell quite a bit of material in that range.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1563 Posts
Posted 07/23/2021   9:18 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We have used this a couple times and now we need shipping supplies. Has anyone used photo mailers for this program?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
678 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   08:30 am  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've sent some items under the program with 6x9 envelopes, but not with a photo mailer.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5278 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   09:39 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Because of the confusion with "rigid" and eBay seemingly at odds with what the USPS considers rigid, I've been reluctant to use full-blown rigid photo mailers with this service. I've instead opted for ones that are "semi-rigid" in that they will bend, but offer IMO sufficient protection for stamps and covers. They also have the advantage of being lighter, so you're less likely to trip the next ounce threshold.

I *really* like these for single stamps and sets, and are the perfect size for standard 4x6 inch thermal shipping labels:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product...e=UTF8&psc=1

They also make larger sizes for covers:

https://smile.amazon.com/EcoSwift-P...ducts&sr=1-3

For those unaware, be careful not to get the 7x9 or larger sizes, as the maximum height for 1st class letters is 6.125 inches. If the height is above that, it automatically becomes a 1st class PARCEL, which becomes a much more expensive rate.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1563 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   11:54 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the referral, I've placed an order.

Ken
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
Posted 07/29/2021   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gizzmo4222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been using the eBay standard envelope feature for a few months
now and It works out ok for me. The only down side is that their tracking does not link to the USPS. Their tracking only shows that an item was delivered to the customers post office and not their residence. I get some inquiries from customers stating that it shows the package was delivered when they don't actually have it. I have to message the customer and advise them to give their local post office a few more days until delivery is actually complete. Hopefully eBay
will have a link to the USPS site in the future but knowing eBay it may take an act of congress to do this !! I'm still waiting for them
to fix my problem of sending invoices which they have been working on since March.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,845Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05