Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Liberia No. 62A, 1905 5c

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 214Next Topic  
Indonesia
3 Posts
Posted 05/03/2021   2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add D1kT0ll to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey, This is from a single sheet of 60 stamps where the printing of the elephant was erroneously printed upside down. Only 32 of the printed 60 inverted stamps have been recorded, and this particular stamp is recorded as position 41 ("E4") of that sheet. How much do you guys think its worth now ?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
659 Posts
Posted 05/03/2021   3:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking stamp. My most recent Classic Scott's catalog (2018) lists it as $1600 in VF sound og. Of course that's a catalog listing which is not necessarily market price. Do you own it? If so how did you acquire it and what do you plan to do with?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Indonesia
3 Posts
Posted 05/03/2021   3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D1kT0ll to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well my father owns it, he wants me to sell it, a part of me doesent want to sell it, but I guess I have no choice. he got the stamp a few years back ill have to ask him about it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
659 Posts
Posted 05/03/2021   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a nice looking stamp and Liberia is a great country to collect. Of course, anyone shelling anywhere near that amount on a stamp would generally require it to be certified first. I know I would.
Pillar Of The Community
520 Posts
Posted 05/03/2021   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is one of Bileski's claims to fame - having broken this sheet up.

Ahh, here is the link I was looking for. This will be of interest - the individual running this site would love an email, I'm sure, and may even be interested in purchasing.

http://philib.org/62a.php
Pillar Of The Community
United States
578 Posts
Posted 05/03/2021   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
H. R. Harmer sold one for $1050 in their sale # in their auction #3004 in 2013.
Phil Banser has one offered right now for $1500, but I don't know how long he's had it.
Kelleher sold one for $800 in 2019.
Those were just the first hits on a quick Google search...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6148 Posts
Posted 05/03/2021   6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A great writeup from invertedcenter.com which appears to no longer exist:

Quote:
Although there are several inverted Elephants on the stamps of Liberia, there is one that has eluded all collectors for 70 years, and most collectors for the past 17. It is Scott#62a,issued in 1905, the 5c Ultramarine and Black showing an African elephant upsie down.

It is believed that it was discovered in the stocks of the Liberian Post Office shortly after it was issued in 1905. This sheet of 60 stamps showed the number 482 on one of its margin corners which means that this error occurred during the normal run of printing this stamp. Although the stamps from this once unique sheet will forever be called "inverted Elephant" , it is actually the frame that is inverted.

Getting back to its history as told Kasimir Bileski, this unique sheet of 60 inverted centers was acquired by the well known dealer, Philip Ward Jr. He sold it to its only owner who never publicized it, but kept it in his possession up to about 28 years ago.

However, it was probably Philip Ward who brought it to the attention of the Scott Catalog

and as Colonel Rogers remarked in the Century of Liberian philately book, Scott was the only one that listed it and that he himself had never seen a copy.

Then Mr. Bileski, better known, better known by his intriguing advertising over the years as "K. Bileski" bought the sheet intact by a private treaty transaction from the firm of H.R. Harmer about 28 years ago. At the time, Mr. Bileski stated that he also had never seen this stamp except that he did accumulate over 300 want lists for it over the years. Mr. B. then proceeded to break up the sheet into 56 singles and one margin block of 4. He sent out almost all the single copies to clients and advertised a few at $500 each. He was pleased that he would make at least 56 people happy having one copy in their possession. In leaving one block of 4, he created a unique piece for posterity as well.

In a descriptive explanation at the time, he wrote about the time and effort he put out in the vain search for this invert, as well as the hundreds of frustrated collectors who couldn't find one at any price.

He also suggested its similarities to the U.S. 24c jenny invert error; that the Jenny sheet was sold at about the same time frame as the Elephant sheet; and was sold to Colonel Green by a friend of Philip Ward's. And the differences, to wit that the elephant invert was almost twice as rare as the awesome inverted Jenny and for "almost 70 years far more elusive, as no one was able to buy a copy."

Of course, that is where the similarity ends; because rarity (supply) takes second place to demand in rare stamps as it does in most collectables. The demand for rare United States stamps overpowered the supply of the 100 inverted Jennys by so much that even the meager 60 stamps supply of these performing elephants could not compete. The market value of the Jenny is 200 times the value of even a jumbo elephant.

Beauty and desirability is in the eye of the beholder and it is true that in the world of collecting inverted centers there is something for everyone. Each challenge has its own price tag.

One stamp invert sold for $850 about 6 years ago.

I came across one 4 years ago with the side selvage and able to tell the number (postion number). I paid $500.

I got it cheap because I called the dealer in manhattan and paid him cash for this gem.

I have yet to see any of them anymore.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5240 Posts
Posted 05/03/2021   7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bought in 1973 for $500.00 and got $720.00 in 2019 ,doesn't sound like a smart investment .Nice stamp .
Indonesia
3 Posts
Posted 05/03/2021   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D1kT0ll to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the information guys, although I dont have it certified you can contact here for more depth information about this stamp *** Edited by Staff - Please Review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. ***
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 214Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05