Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott US Specialized

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 779Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
Posted 05/04/2021   4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add classic_paper to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm in the market (I think) for a Scott US Specialized. Can anyone say if the catalog has changed in any meaningful way in the past few years, for good or ill? Accurate/current prices don't interest me, I'm more interested if say, the 2021 drastically revamped coverage of xyz compared to the 2020, for example. Or, stay way from the 2015 because they dropped abc that had always been in it before.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
239 Posts
Posted 05/04/2021   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would start looking to see what is out there and then buy the newest one that fits your budget. I don't like spending more than say $35 for a used catalogue so I get one with a few miles on it. I can't think of any years that stand out as being disliked. My copy is 2016.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3018 Posts
Posted 05/05/2021   07:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is your interest? New listings, valuations, etc? There are editorial changes every year so depends.
Al
Edited by angore - 05/05/2021 07:41 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
563 Posts
Posted 05/05/2021   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The QE listings were completely reworked with 2016 and there after.

The booklet paper printed non-booklet stamps were all added in 2020.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
608 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Like betting on horses, I just pick the pretty one, in this case the best looking cover.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1565 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Classic Paper: I have the 2012 and 2020 US Specialized catalogues, both purchased new. If US is a primary collecting specialty for you (it's secondary for me), you may want to purchase new or used more often.

Edited by Climber Steve - 05/06/2021 11:34 am
Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I buy catalogs either used or NOS (new old stock), the cost savings are always too big to ignore. By the responses, looks like I'll be chasing a 2016 or later... I just didn't want to get a certain edition only to discover that a later one was noticeably more complete. TY all.
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pogopossum to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just received the 2021 US Specialized in the mail. I recently decided to concentrate on my US collection after finding it was a bit of a wreck in terms of condition. This will replace my 2010 copy. The catalogue now is much more extensive, opening areas I never knew of (SCADTA?). The printing and color are very brilliant and pretty close to the real thing, although I am no color expert. There is a lot of page wrinkling but not to the point there is a loss of information. Like other Scott catalogues this one is getting a bit big for its bones and I would not be surprised if it is separated into two parts.

I will use it to update values in my inventory (for insurance) and just the pleasure of paging through a stamp catalog (Ref: Lawrence Block)

If you are looking to use a catalog for identifying stamps as opposed to determining value, don't buy new! New may or may not reflect reality of value, but I will admit that the latest catalog I am looking at has much more identification details than I saw a decade ago.

YMMV
Geoff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
563 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
SCADTA?

You just missed the major auction of the material: https://siegelauctions.com/2019/1213/1213.pdf
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pogopossum to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Parcelpostguy, thanks for the link! The specialization possible in this hobby is mind-boggling.
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamp Hunting to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Been collecting for over 50 years, and it never ceases to amaze me at how much information is still out there to be learned. Thanks @Parcelpostguy for the link full of information I never knew. I just knew they were collectible. The history brings the reality of what it was all about, back into present.
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 05/12/2021   6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pogopossum to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back in the day dictionaries were issued anew every few years (like the National Geographic atlas). Modern times, I guess, has brought the end to that. One of the best things about a new dictionary was the front material that included essays about usage and language. They were a great read (confess: English major here).

As I review the 2021 Scott's US Specialized I see they have added special feature articles (this may have started earlier, but this my most recent purchase). Good to see! The front material in any catalog is invaluable, these additional essays add much to the hobby.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 779Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05