Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Revenue Catalogues For Columbia, Venezuela, Or Paraguay?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 372Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
24 Posts
Posted 05/05/2021   10:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bcantin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In my continued quest to acquire as complete a set of world revenue stamp catalogues as I can, I've been unable to locate (via google and other resources at my disposal) any catalogues for a small number of countries. Lately I've been seeking catalogues for Columbia, Venezuela, and Paraguay - but I've been unable to find anything.

I know that veteran revenue philatelists like Jim Ross and Clive Akerman have published works for Central/South American countries' revenue stamps, but I cannot find anything by them or anyone else. Does anyone know if these countries have revenue catalogues? They don't have to be in English... it surprises me that I can't find anything for Venezuela in particular, because their fiscal stamps are so prevalent. I've seen examples of revenue stamps from all these countries on Eric Jackson's website, and so I know they exist. I do have some in my collection, including some nice ABNCo cigar stamps from Santander (Colombia).

Also wondering about Haiti and Dominican Republic.

Thanks in advance for any leads/information. I have collected stamps since I was three years old, but a serious interest in foreign revenue stamps didn't take root until last summer... better late than never!

Barry
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
963 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   05:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Barry

First of all the country is COlombia.

Check with the APRL (American Philatelic Research Library). I believe there were a couple of books on Colombia Revenues. I did find the author's name for one book: Alan D. Anyon. However, I cannot get any of the links to work. He published it with Dieter Bortfeld.

Also check with Eric Jackson (Revenue Stamps). He might know of catalogs.

Jerry B

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
921 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   07:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For Haiti, a query to the Haiti Philatelic Society https://www.haitiphilately.org/index.html is probably the best way to find revenue resources.

More generally, the individual who runs https://classiclatinamerica.com/ may know of some publications - although they don't list much in revenues in their resources section.
Valued Member
United States
465 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   08:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Handbook of Colombia Revenues. Alan D Anyon. 2009.

Believe available via APRL.

No current listing on eBay, Amazon, or Eric Jackson.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32770 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_D._Anyon

Dalsimer, Samuel: A checklist of Haitian revenues [updated by Carroll Lloyd and Peter Jeannopoulos]. Repr. from The American Revenuer, vol 14, nos. 4-6, Apr. to June 1960
Edited by rod222 - 05/06/2021 08:39 am
Valued Member
United States
465 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   08:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Bcantin.

In your initial posting, did you intend to reference the late Joe Ross? Renown revenue philatelist.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3155 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   09:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice long discription (in spanish) of a first class collection of Colombian revenue stamps 1858-1900
sNWgF0LlOFk
Valued Member
United States
24 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   12:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bcantin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"First of all the country is COlombia."

Or in my mishap, ColOmbia. Heh, I actually knew that... I'm usually the one correcting these misspellings myself... I would blame it on my tiny iPhone keyboard, but it was probably just old age starting to set in...

I'll take your advice, Jerry, and investigate that. Thank you! I rarely take advantage of my membership.

Barry
Edited by Bcantin - 05/11/2021 01:26 am
Valued Member
United States
24 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   12:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bcantin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Calstamp! Yep, Joe Ross was my intended subject. I didn't know he had passed away, though; I have a few of his works and they are really well done. I'm very sorry to hear he has left us. His excellent contributions to philately will live on...

Thanks for the links, everyone - I had found the Anyon catalogue after I posted this, but as Calstamp pointed out, it is nowhere to be found right now. But I'll just stay on it and eventually one might turn up.

Thanks to the link on youtube - I'll watch that one later tonight. My Spanish is a little rusty right now (I've been working on my Japanese so diligently the past few years I am starting to get the two mixed up sometimes... very odd, I know) but I could understand most of what he was saying. Interesting that Anyon was mentioned in there as well - I will definitely seek out his work.

The Haiti link led to a nice online catalogue for Haitian revenues! That will be an interesting read, I really appreciate that.

Thanks everyone! I'm surprised nobody mentioned Venezuela; they have quite a few fairly common fiscal issues, and I believe some of them were printed by ABNCo. Same for Paraguay. Very interesting. Does anyone here collect revenues from Latin America?

Edited by Bcantin - 05/11/2021 01:33 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
963 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   06:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bcantin

For Venezuela revenues, contact the Venezuela Stamp Society ASOFILCA (Asociacion Filatelica De Caracas) https://www.asofilca.com/

Someone should know of any Revenue catalogs.

In general, contact the various Philatelic Societies in Latin America.
For a listing of the Societies:
https://classiclatinamerica.com/sou...-catalogues/

Jerry B
Valued Member
United States
24 Posts
Posted 05/12/2021   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bcantin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's perfect, thanks for the lead Jerry!

Barry
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 372Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05