Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another Admiral Question 1c Yellow Coils

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 467Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
51 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   05:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Rfw125 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
See attached picture and excuse my ignorance.....is this #126.

Looking at it it certainly looks like Die II

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1328 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 2021 Unitrade does not include imperforates for SC126.

Your stamps are perforation 8, appear to be from sheet/pane production and not a booklet pane as there are preforations on the right margin.

SC126 Die II has the stem closest to the oval with a white blob at its end, four short white lines parallel to the middle stem and the space between the stems is not filled with colour. Your image is not clear enough to see this.

SC126a has only blocks of 4 imperforate horizontally sold to the public, so your block of 6 doesn't fit this catalogue number.

SC105 is the pane format with perforation 12.

SC126 and SC126a are perforation 8.

If your stamps gummed, what is the colour and texture of the gum.

I don't know what you have.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
7651 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rfw125
Believe you do have DIE II as per serifs...Mine on left.

Here is my 126a..same as yours..My opinion.
Robert

Valued Member
Canada
264 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   1:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It wasn't hard to find this sheet of other similar items that may be just as hard to put a name or number to. I guess that's why books have been written on this issue.

my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Edited by Casey Magoo - 05/06/2021 1:23 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
51 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   1:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rfw125 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a closer look at two of the 6, also they are all MNH

Valued Member
Canada
422 Posts
Posted 05/20/2021   7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamporator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to conclude what BlackJag and Wert have stated previously.

Rfw125 - You have a Scott 126a, Die II, block of 6. Unitrade only lists blocks of 4 and vertical pairs. Blocks of greater than 4 are more rare, so the price would be higher than the sum of a block of 4 and a vertical pair.

From information in Boggs, Marler and publications by Hans Reiche: These stamps were from printed sheets of 100 stamps that were perforated vertically with the intent of separating then horizontally to result in rolls (or now called coils). In 1923/4, Plates 11 and 12 incorporating Die I printing of 22x sheets (total 2,200 stamps) were 'rescued' prior to them being made into coils, with 2x sheets given as a favour to a "gentleman of considerable influence in Ottawa", and at the same time 20x sheets were set aside and later sold as a lot to another collector.

The issue of these stamps soon became known and led to objections from collectors. The Department decided to issue other part-perforate sheets. However, by this time Plates 11 and 12 were past their usage. So Plates 16 and 17, that incorporated Die II, were used and a total of 1,000 sheets of 100 were issued (total 100,000 stamps, or maximum 50,000 vertical pairs). These were issued as sheets and over time they have been broken up into 2x 4x 6x and other combinations. As Unitrade lists only 2x and 4x combinations, then collectors have broken apart larger combinations to reflect the listed prices.

As there has only been 22x sheets of Die I and 1,000x sheets of Die II, there price for Die I is higher. The Die I plates included a gutter between the lower/upper panes whereas the Die II issue were cut into panes and thus removing the gutter prior their release.

This issuance for the 1 cent yellow is the same for the 2 cent green (Scott 128a) and the 3 cent red (Scott 130a).

Scott 126ac - Die I printing, block of 4

Scott 126a - Die II printing, block of 4

Scott 126aii - Die I printing, gutter block of 4
Edited by stamporator - 05/21/2021 10:47 am
Pillar Of The Community
7651 Posts
Posted 05/20/2021   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi stamporator

I am NOT and expert and could be wrong..Isn't this a DIE II..??
Robert

Valued Member
Canada
422 Posts
Posted 05/21/2021   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamporator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Wert. My typo error that has now been corrected.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
51 Posts
Posted 05/21/2021   11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rfw125 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamporator, manythanks for the information, very useful, excellent.

Regards

Robert(rfw125)
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 467Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05