Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hello, I'm New To This World And Need Some Help!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 314Next Topic  

0 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add asdfjkl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I began becoming more interested in philatelics and stamps after combing through my mother's FDC collection. I'm still a newbie but now combing through stamps and have some questions I hope you guys may have some answers or insights to.

(1)
Sometimes I see stamps that have a fine scratch that can only be seen in the light when the stamp is tilted at an angle. It appears there's some coating on the stamp. Is it chalk? These would probably downwardly affect the value I'm guessing - is that right?

(2)
I've seen this phenomenon occur with a few panes/sheets I've come across. It's like a perforation but not a perforation, more like a bump that appears like a perforation. Does anyone know what this error/oddity is called? Would this positively affect the value of the sheet/stamp?

(3)
I recently purchased a rare stamp booklet from an NHL collector online (BK265). There seems to be some fine-line scratches to the booklet back but not the stamps themselves (again, can only be seen at an angle). The top left of the booklet at the back appears to be some weird phenomenon showing. Anyone know what this is? The adhesive doesn't appear to be removed from the backing either.

Would all these things for this booklet negatively affect its value significantly? If so, I think I'll probably return this item to the seller. I purchased it for ~$13.00.

Thanks in advance!
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   3:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome!

Dale
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
239 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mike Bossy = scoring machine
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamp Hunting to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the wonderful world of collecting stamps. To answer most of your questions, yes it does have an effect on value. General rule is that the more pristine it is, the more valuable it is.

For specific terms about your stamps I refer you to the Glossary here in the Community, it will get you started on your way.

https://www.stampcommunity.org/dictionary/

Again, welcome to the amazing and irritating world of Stamp collecting. Ask questions here anytime, someone will answer.
Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   09:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
asdfjki,

Collecting for the enjoyment of collecting, whatever that might be, is the name of the game. Don't hesitate to ask questions especially if you need basic information and especially more advanced sources of information for any possible topic. You should be able to find folks on this board a little further along on their collecting journey glad to share experiences. Russ
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1325 Posts
Posted 05/08/2021   8:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum asdfjkl!

Here are a few partial answers that others can correct, verify and add to.

(1) SC 1646a
The stamp paper is from a supplier named Coated Papers, but that doesn't explain what you describe as chalk.
The line suggesting a scratch may have occured during production or any time post-production.
Something may have landed on the plate during printing causing the "line".

(2) SC 1620a
Are the two extra things bumps on the front of the stamp or dents that have been pushed through from front to back?
If bumps, they are remnants of paper pushed through the stamp during perforation and should be easily removed.
If dents, it appears that two extra pins, that should not have been on the perforator, caused them.

(3) BK 265
The glue is applied to the reverse of the stamp, not to the booklet's backing paper.
I don't see what you are referring to as "The top left of the booklet at the back appears to be some weird phenomenon showing.".
Paying $13.00 for a 2021 Unitrade catalogued $90.00 booklet is a deal in my opinion regardless of whatever you are seeing on the reverse of it.
Edited by BlackJag - 05/08/2021 8:30 pm
0 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   3:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add asdfjkl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the warm welcomes, StatesmanStamper, Casey Magoo, Stamp Hunting, hoosierboy, and BlackJag!

In response to BlackJag's answers/reply:

(1) SC 1646a
I notice that with this type of paper, it can be easily scratched and can be scratched with your nail. This paper is delicate!

(2) SC 1620a
Those two/three extra bumps are rather dents than bumps. If you look at the back side of the stamps, you'll see the three bumps like the bumps used for Braille. I happen to have a few sheets of a different stamp like this. What is this phenomenon called and is there extra value when this production error happens? It's kind of a funny one!

(3) BK 265
I forgot to circle that in my original picture - apologies for that. I've taken some new pictures - it can be seen here. Funny enough, I'm seeing this phenomenon also occur on another one that was recently sold on eBay ( eBay item # 154427474987). Have you guys seen this occur with stamp booklets before? I've tried to flatten it out with weights but no luck - looks like it's going to be there for good!

Edited by asdfjkl - 05/10/2021 3:33 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 314Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05