Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I'm New To Stamps And This Website

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 357Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
29 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   06:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Pshann to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Please be patient- if I make a mistake
I did a few posts last week and obviously got it all wrong!
I have come across a large collection of stamps and used the web for reference.
Simply a country and picture
Naturally, I am only looking for the scarce stamps but amazed with the variety, quality and detail of same stamp but different slightly.
Interesting
I'm learning how there are so many variations of a stamp.
It's all unbelievably complex.
But I'll keep trying
Thanks
Paul

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
433 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Welcome, Paul. Thanks for sharing a few details about your collecting.

As you have discovered there are a wide variety of stamps produced within individual countries. The two largest categories are known as definitive and commemorative. The definitive typically includes a series of the same or similar design with differing denominations (e.g., one cent, two cent, etc.). Definitive stamps often feature a portrait of a significant person within the issuing country.

By contrast commemorative stamps (or issues) "commemorate" (or celebrate) a particular event or historic milestone. And often are limited to a single issue.

The Forum is a valuable information exchange resource. And like you, it's members seek to continue their own philatelic learning journey.

The Forum features a search button near the top of the page which provides access to thousands (if not more) of prior member postings, questions, and comments. I use it frequently to determine if a potential question has already been addressed, as well as a means of learning addtl background info.

As you consider future posting, plz note that clear message titles typically garner the most and best responses. For example, a message entitled, "China: help identify" is more likely to result in the desired response than "What's this?"

Welcome to a hobby of (potential) lifetime enjoyment.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Australia
29 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   08:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pshann to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Calstamp
Thank you
I don't whether to go forward or call it quits.
It's amazing what I have discovered and learnt
Enjoying the journey
Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   09:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pshann,

Collecting for the enjoyment of collecting, whatever that might be, is the name of the game. Don't hesitate to ask questions especially if you need basic information and especially more advanced sources of information for any possible topic. You should be able to find folks on this board a little further along on their collecting journey glad to share experiences. Russ
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   10:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pbmorris to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paul, it can be overwhelming if you inherit or acquire a large collection as your entry into collecting. I tried to do everything at once and got nothing accomplished. Now I pick an area to focus on each time I get involved, whether it be a time period, country, revenue, precanceled, perfins, postage due, special delivery, etc., since each area has special issues with design, perforations, watermarks, color, etc.

Don't rush, you will get there.
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paul,

Welcome! Two key things.

1. We all make mistakes in our collecting. For me the first big one was using Scotch tape to "mount" stamps in my first album. Luckily they were cheap stamps going into a kid's album so no loss.

2. Most stamps are neither rare nor financially valuable. If you go in looking for gold nuggets you might miss out on how enjoyable the pyrite can be.

Dale
Valued Member
United States
433 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   11:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Paul.

Believe pbmorris' comment re selecting a country or area on which to focus is sage advice. Have been collecting worldwide for more than 50 yrs. However, in recent yrs have "learned" to focus on a country or region. As a result my "productivity" (enjoyment) has increased substantially. This approach has allowed me to delve deeper versus simply "putting stamps away".

If you opt to stick with the hobby, recommend checking out the American Philatelic Society. APS has a great member lending library. And in recent yrs has begun offering a variety of online presentations etc.

Most importantly, enjoy. It's a hobby not a job.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
32 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   1:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RXC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You might try focusing on your own country. You are no doubt familiar with many of the people and places featured on your country's stamps. You will undoubtedly find things that you did not know about. Or maybe there is another country that interests you. In either case you limit your field, too many stamps can be overwhelming. The skills you acquire, using tongs (tweezers), catalogues, perforation gauge, mounts or hinges etc. will be applicable to any area of philately you may choose to pursue. There is a near infinite amount to learn about history, culture, geography, production processes, etc. Start small, you can and will find many other areas of interest as you go along. Stamps are a great hobby and it is your choice as to how much time, interest, and money you wish to spend.

Good luck.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
573 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   11:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centerstage98 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And, if you can obtain some good hard copy materials - a guide, book or magazine about stamp collecting; a catalog for the country you are most interested in; and beginning websites - you will help yourself a great deal; start small, many of us haven't done it all in 50 or 60 years so there is a great advantage to staying focused.
Valued Member
Australia
29 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pshann to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1919 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 357Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05