Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sometimes Good Things Come 'In Threes'.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,333Next Topic
Page: of 3
Learn More...
9478 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   2:25 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Sometimes good things come 'in threes'...

1. I have been taking part in a COVID research study over the last year; it involved taking a blood test every few weeks and filling out a daily questionnaire. The study is about to wrap up and they ran a contest and one of the prizes was an Android smart phone. They pulled my name out of the hat and I won the phone.

2. I have driven the Acura I purchased back in 2001 into the ground, a good car but it is time for a new one. Since we don't take any really long road trips much anymore, I am reliving my youth and have ordered a 'hot hatch', a Honda Civic Type R. Fast (0-60 5 seconds or so and top speed of 175-180mph) Lots of fun to drive in the mountains around where I live! Can't wait until it comes in.

3. Yesterday I got a call from Duke and am headed down next week to start the kidney transplant process. I have been on dialysis for over 7 years now but had to wait two years past my last cancer treatment. The only issue is that the doctors and researchers are not sure what might happen since I am in the first generation of 'cured' immunotherapy patients. The immunotherapy 'super-charged' my immune system to fight off the Stage 4 cancer but if I get the organ transplant I have to go on immunosuppressant drugs (the opposite of immunotherapy). There is no data or history on this situation, I will be among the first to blaze this trail. So my choice is; stay on dialysis the rest of my live or roll the dice that the cancer will not come back when I go on the immunosuppressant drugs. Which is more likely to kill me; cancer or DaVita? I am going to go for a transplant and am excited to start this new medical chapter in my life.
Don
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
206 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   3:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

May all you wish for come true!

John
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7520 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   3:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, I wish you all the best and will remember you in my prayers. I hope you come through it successfully - I have now been cancer free for over 18 years, knock on wood

Peter
Valued Member
United States
184 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good Luck, Don!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1023 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

As a survivor of experimental cancer chemo 36 years ago, I know a situation like that is a tough decision.

Please keep us posted.

Godspeed my friend.

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2388 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don - all the best to you.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
93 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   3:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OzwaldO to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Best wishes!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6387 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great stuff Don. My wife had a pancreas transplant 12 years ago now and she stopped having to take insulin almost immediately after the surgery. Still blows my mind. She has been shopping for a brain transplant for yours truly. AND the new wheels are awesome. Can anybody say "speeding ticket fund for Don is accepting donations"?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
662 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow that is a tough call. At least Duke is not a fly by night facility. Good luck. No matter what the outcome, you are willingly contributing to future knowledge.

That, Don, is a noble decision with a potential increase in knowledge helping untold numbers down the road.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
518 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don I wish you nothing but the best. stick to your guns and you will come out on top or this also.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
698 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, all the best from the Netherlands. Johan.
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dry Tech to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All the best. I will also be praying for you.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
847 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Best wishes and prayers for a perfect outcome and many more years of enjoyable stamping!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3844 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Will be thinking of you Don hope all goes well.

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's great. Duke has helped a lot of people.
Valued Member
United States
302 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

Wish you all the best. Hoping you're around to help us all keep stamping smarter for many years to come.

Dale
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,333Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05