Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Understanding Scott # 65

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 319Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add kwc98 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I am new to this sport. I got this stamp in a lot from eBay. I would like to understand how to interpret this stamp. It was in a little holder that indicated it was a Scott #65, a hopeful 'Green Cancel?' written on it. (it looks blue to me) and it has a little check mark that says VF.

When I look at #65 on eBay, most are not nearly as attractive as this stamp. So that is what I am wondering. What do I need to look at on this stamp? How do I evaluate it? (beyond it is 'neat' looking.)

This stamp also indicated that it was #65, but how would I know the color? bright rose, dull red, rose red, etc? If it did not have #65 on it, how would I know it from a #64?

What do you think?
Thanks!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
774 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   10:55 am  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a Scott 65 to me. Always hard to tell the true color from a scan, because it depends upon lighting and the scanner, but it looks like a rose or brownish rose to me. Definitely not one of the pink, rose pink, etc. colors.

The target cancel is blue.

The centering is more of an average to fine, but not very fine.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1482 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   11:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with orstampman. #65, blue target cancel, average-fine centering (perfs cut into design on two sides). Looks like a pulled perforation at the upper left as well.

The difference in color between #64 (pink) and the different reddish shades of #65 is best seen in juxtaposition. #64 has almost a bluish cast to it and there is not a great visual contrast between the colored and white areas of the stamp design (first image below). #65 is in general darker in appearance with a much greater contrast beween the colored and white areas of the design (second image below; both images used with permission from Siegel website).

Pillar Of The Community
United States
563 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   12:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but how would I know the color? bright rose, dull red, rose red, etc?

The answer is easy, comparison copies. Finding those for comparison can be your challenge but that is what stamp clubs and helpful dealers are for.

I do not see a "green cancel."
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1149 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   12:47 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For most US stamps the value varies based on three primary factors:

1) attractiveness - if there is a heavy cancel obscuring the face that will reduce the value. If the colors are faded or toned, that will reduce the value.
2) centering - this is essentially also attractiveness but is specifically examined - if there are 4 evenly balanced margins between the stamp design and the perforations it will be much more valuable than an off-center stamp. F,VF,VF-XF,XF, Super, Jumbo are all words that talk about centering.
3) Faults - Faults have a very large negative impact. The impact depends on the severity of the fault. A tear or a hole will reduce the value a lot. A pulled perf, not nearly as much. Many faults are hidden or only visible on close inspection. Regummed stamps, reperforated stamps, thins, all can have a quite large effect.

Of course color, variety, paper type, perforations all are important for determining which stamp you are looking at, but I'm trying to actually answer your question about how to interpret your 65. Hope it helps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
563 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   3:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Use the search function for threads on "green cancels" for more information.

Green cancels tend to be a green color.

Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 319Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05