Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Notice Of New Moderating Approach

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 2,615Next Topic
Page: of 4
Learn More...
9374 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   3:27 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have now removed the thread and member and am changing how I moderate.

From this point on I am taking the easy approach to moderating; I am simply going to cancel, remove and/or silence anyone and any thread or person that becomes problematic (just like the 'down under forum' does). Please do not publicly push back or make yourself a problem, everyone now has notice that my tolerance is now zero for difficult threads or people.
Don
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7435 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I hope you do not plan to become the dictator that the person running that forum is. No one can even politely disagree with him.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
180 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don - Good news! It is the only way to NOT burn out as a moderator. If a post, or individual, give you heartache, kill the weed at the source.
Learn More...
9374 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   4:43 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Revcollector,
My approach will be whatever consumes the least amount of time and effort; this means removing problematic threads/posts/people. I tried being 'fair' over the last few years and people whined and complained and it made a ton more work. I tried doing what I thought was best for the community and the hobby and people whined and complained and it made a ton more work. And I assume that people will whine and complain about the new approach too but at least I will not now be wasting a lot of time having to monitor problematic threads and people. I cannot change the whining and complaining but I can change the amount of time that I spend on it.
Don
Valued Member
Canada
281 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   5:34 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
From this point on I am taking the easy approach to moderating; I am simply going to cancel, remove and/or silence anyone and any thread or person that becomes problematic (just like the 'down under forum' does). Please do not publicly push back or make yourself a problem, everyone now has notice that my tolerance is now zero for difficult threads or people.

Good idea, it seems pointless wasting time and energy on those who refuse to abide by the rules.

Although, please do not take 'down under' as a role model.
My last post there was in disagreement with a post made by the owner/moderator. If he didn't like my post, he was free to delete it, instead, however, he edited my post to make it look as if I was in agreement with his point of view.
When I complained, he gave me a two week ban.
I have not been back since.
Clive

AlbumEasy - Free software for creating custom stamp album pages
PSGSA - The Philatelic Society for Greater Southern Africa

Edited by clivel - 05/09/2021 5:36 pm
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gvol21 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My last post there was in disagreement with a post made by the owner/moderator. If he didn't like my post, he was free to delete it, instead, however, he edited my post to make it look as if I was in agreement with his point of view.

Oof - that's editorial malpractice right there.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6252 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have never belonged to the board down under and after hearing everyone's comments about it over the years I would never want to be involved. Why are there still members if the treatment is so bad? Have a lot of members voted with their feet?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5601 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   02:10 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you collect British Empire/Commonwealth stamps, there's a range of information there that you're probably unlikely to find elsewhere. You don't have to join up and engage in the wrangling to read it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
553 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   04:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I seemed to have missed this train wreck, being blissfully ignorant of both the topic and member removed. While I can tolerate a fair amount of BS and even some heated BS, such is not necessary in these forums. So I must say thanks Don for your work and willingness to be a decision maker determining when the fertilizer pile enriches the soil and when to call hazmat for a raw sewage spill.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6252 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   08:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Geoff - That makes perfect sense. Why pay for the milk when you can get the cow for free.
Learn More...
9374 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   08:58 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Except it is not 'free', he gets paid for any traffic the site gets, so you are supporting him.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5170 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   09:29 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I missed what precipitated this particular instance, but can appreciate the thankless job that moderating a forum/message board can be. I've owned a music forum since 2003 (not as high traffic as this board) and have been a moderator at numerous other boards, including the fustercluck that Delphi became.

In short: As a moderator you can't win. No matter what you do or how you try to adjudicate issues, SOMEONE is going to get cheesed off and be unhappy with your decision.

Add to this the ever-increasing entitlement mentality pervasive in society ("I don't care that I'm not paying anything at all for any of this, my opinion is THE most important one!"), and it's a recipe ripe for frustration.

I know several forum owners that have just thrown up their hands and said "Eff it! Let people use Facebook"... which is sad, as I'm personally not a fan of modern social media, and it isn't conducive to long-running threads, research, or collaboration in the same way that message boards are.

I know I'm not very vocal about it, and Don and I have had our disagreements on certain issues over the years, but I do appreciate his time and effort here and elsewhere.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1565 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A sports blog that I've been on for over a decade has the owner/administrator and 10 moderators. How many mods does this site have? Maybe it needs more.
Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DaveG28 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to plead a bit of ignorance. What is the "down under forum"? There's a forum where I've experienced problems, but I don't know that it's based "down under".
Edited by DaveG28 - 05/10/2021 3:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4384 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Sheriff rules the roos and the bunnies.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7441 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ClimberSteve, I believe there are two, KirkS and 51Studebaker, now renamed 2021Honda :-)

Peter
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 2,615Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05