Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Notice Of New Moderating Approach

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 2,871Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6387 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Sheriff rules

Someone likes roleplaying.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
355 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So was this the post about sourcing paper for making fake stamps? A bit annoying in my opinion, so I will not mourn his absence. We are all free to do what we want, including starting our own forum if we don't like the rules here. But we did all agree to abide by the rules when we signed up.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1565 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   11:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This site has 44 potentially active, and separate, sub-boards, not including the old Photobucket board. I would think the site needs at least four moderators, plus one who is the site owner.
Learn More...
9478 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   11:45 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steve,
I think that this forum is definitely not for you. You are active on other philatelic forums, I think they they are a much better fit for you.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
662 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

@Willwood42: We have a winner!
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 05/11/2021 12:31 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5668 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   12:37 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unless I'm missing something, I'm bemused by the response to Steve's suggestion about reducing/spreading workload.
Learn More...
9478 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   12:49 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Who here has experience as a philatelic forum staff? Richard (edit: and Al) do, is there anyone else?

The issue is not the number of Mods; the issue is that there is no satisfying everyone and the whining and complaining that comes after someone disagrees with a hard decision.

How is increasing the number of staff going to lower or change the decisions that have to be made that are not black/white? Is increasing the number of staff going to change the amount of whining and complaining about the decisions? No.

Typically increasing staff would be required if the current staff is not responding to issues in a timely manner. Looking at the last 35 'Send Message to Staff' reported, the average response time was 29 minutes. Given that these can be sent 24/7 and the three staffers here are all EST zone and sleep at night, this is an incredible response time average.

The solution is not to post complaints about the hard decisions that are made, recognize that this job sucks, and cut a bit of slack to the staff.
Don
Forum Dad
USA
1699 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Amen.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5191 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   1:01 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also, increasing the number of moderators adds complexity to decisionmaking processes. Who has authority for which decisions? Is it majority rule? Is it quorum? Does it vary depending on the issue?

"Well we can't take action until everyone has had input."... It can be paralyzing.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1654 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The solution is not to post complaints about the hard decisions that are made, recognize that this job sucks, and cut a bit of slack to the staff.

Might I suggest an even better solution is to consider making a regular donation to this board, a solution that I personally just did recently.

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1953 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, I apologize that my posts likely added to the problem.
Learn More...
9478 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   2:17 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
shermae,
No worries.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1953 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
528 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
making a regular donation to this board, a solution that I personally just did recently.

Agree, and I just did the same as well. I can get emotional about things I care about and the truth is the folks that run this board do a great job and put up with a lot.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1023 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
making a regular donation to this board

Thanks for the reminder! Just donated. I haven't shown my appreciation lately for all the good work that get done behind the scenes here!

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 2,871Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05