Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Notice Of New Moderating Approach

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 2,587Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1160 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

Awesome decision!

Hal
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
3591 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Who here has experience as a philatelic forum staff?

The conundrum that you can't have the job without the experience, and you can't get the experience without the job.

I would contend for the longevity of any site there need to be some trainees in the wings who are empowered to make simple decisions and work their way up - to fix typos, to fix links, to edit titles for clarity, etc. Essentially to splash around in the shallow end of the pool before swimming in the deep water of the hard decisions.
Learn More...
9370 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   6:16 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John,
There is very little to learn, the staff training page is a few paragraphs (around 400 words total). The learning curve for most people would be measured in a few minutes.

I do not think the issue is staffing, the issue is a lack of consideration of the mostly anonymous, 'know-it-all' posters who think they their opinions are facts and that the rest of us hang around waiting for their musings. If it was not this, then people would use private messages to advance their positions instead of publicly posting criticisms of the hard decisions. It is also supported in view of the number of staffers who get burned out on forums.
Don
Forum Dad
USA
1689 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   6:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been threatened physically more than a dozen times and my life threatened once.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5170 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   6:31 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have been threatened physically more than a dozen times and my life threatened once.

By a pack of hardcore gangsta stamp collectors? I'm trying to picture this in my mind...
Forum Dad
USA
1689 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My life was threatened by an eBay seller whose counterfeit coins were discussed on the coin forum and I got them taken down.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
484 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   7:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To Whom It May Concern...

Forum Dad
USA
1689 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't even have to pull the trigger. Once I put the laser dot on his forehead, my cats will do the rest.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
484 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bobby - I LOVE IT !

Utter deniability. "The cats did it"

Seriously, we're waaaaay off topic. Feel free to delete the gun post. As an ex-cop, it was my first reaction to your being threatened, even though most of those turn out to be just blowhards acting tough.
Edited by uboatnut - 05/11/2021 7:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5170 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   7:19 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
9370 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   7:29 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was threatened by a stamp collector here who posted off color jokes. He had he had no money at stake, he was only angry over having his free account locked.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6250 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I carry a pair of sharpened tongs in a small of back holster with tips dipped in an exotic neurotoxin. If that does not work I use my Sig. If those fail I play Yoko Ono.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
774 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   8:03 pm  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, no, don't do Yoko - that is the most dangerous weapon!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
545 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe in keeping an ace up my sleeve in addition to other appropriate accoutrements on or nearby.

But Don, if you ever need the nuclear option, give me a call. I may know people:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1131 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If those fail I play Yoko Ono.

Your ultimate weapon wouldn't work on me. I've paid to see Yoko in concert of my own free will. Twice.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 2,587Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05