Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Iceland 3 Aur Stamp Info?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 463Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   5:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add baker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

Any Iceland collectors out there? I came by a few stamps recently, including US and Worldwide. I have a US catalog; I mostly collect US. I have no other catalogs. I've been trying to research foreign stamp info and approx values by internet research, but that's hit and miss.

Pictured is an Iceland stamp, 3 Aur, featuring King Christian X. Yellow border, and black center image. This seems to be Pf 14 x 14.5. I see various colors of this stamp from different years, but I haven't found this particular color combo. I think the year must be 1920-1930 (?)

Would anyone have any information about this stamp and an approximate used value? I like to keep a ballpark value of stamps.

Thanks!
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32191 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Baker,
Try Sc#O40 Official 1920
B.o.b.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 05/09/2021 5:44 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5747 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As Rod stated, the stamp is a Christian X official of June 5, 1920 (Facit #42).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7441 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can try to find a (retail)price on www.stampworld.com

Peter
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add baker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much, folks!

I was able to make some headway with the O40 Official reference. I found some examples on Jay Smith & Associates https://www.jaysmith.com/Lists/Icel...ficials.html

My example has some condition issues; I'm going to call it $0.50 (at best) for a retail price. (Even that might be generous )

I have a few more various items I'm identifying. I may be back if I'm stumped again.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32191 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Any members throw light on the Postmark on my 50a Christian X Issue Please? 84? 94? Single Ring. Usage?

Edited by rod222 - 05/09/2021 8:17 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
149 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   11:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tongman65 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello rod222, your 50aur has a numeral town postmark, I believe. Facit has info about them, it looks to be #84 or #94. I don't have a Facit anymore.
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add baker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Although I'm in no way any kind of expert on Iceland, I took a stab at trying to learn something about the single ring numeral postmark.

While I didn't find anything conclusive, I did find the "Iceland Philatelic Magazine," various issues, for example:
http://www.nfvskandinavie.com/resou...and_mag8.pdf

On the cover, there is an image of a single ring numeral postmark (albeit in italic.) I'm guessing that the mark on the magazine is completely unrelated to yours. But, it seems like someone at NFVS might be able to help with that mark. (Or maybe not, as I am just about clueless when it comes to Iceland.)
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   12:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add baker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Didn't see Tongman65's reply before I posted - and it sounds like a better answer than mine!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32191 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   12:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Tongman, and Baker
I had no idea there were Town Postmarks.
Thanks for the link, excellent.

Baker, never be shy in offering an opinion, it is a great way to learn, sometimes we get it wrong, but that is the way forward.
Keep it up!

From the Journal Link Posted.

Edited by rod222 - 05/10/2021 12:35 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5747 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Facit lists 400-500 locations for the numeral cancellations. The actual numbers go from 1-300, but many numbers were used for more than one place.

From Facit, "The one-circle numeral cancellations almost exclusively have been used at the smallest kind of post office, so called mail-collecting place. The first ones (nos. 1-173) were sent out in 1903 and then replaced the previous crown-cancellations, while the last ones (no's. Up to about 300) were taken for use as late as in 1945-46. As appears from the price list, many of the cancellations were used at several different post offices, in most cases depending on the post office being moved or in several cases closed down, opening of new offices or the up-grading of a mail-collecting place to a secondary post office...A dozen cancellation-stamps were still in use at the mail-collecting places as late as 1965, but these are supposed to have been withdrawn during 1966."

The two cancellations shown by Rod are:

230 Fossvellir 1929-1930 (1950) 250.- Swedish kroner
278 Keta 1935-1938 1300.- Swedish kroner

Catalog is 2003 Special

Edited by bookbndrbob - 05/10/2021 11:24 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32191 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   06:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fabulous information Bob
Thank you.
Saved.
Valued Member
455 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sorsh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Iceland has quite a huge margin of fiscally used stamps as well as plain CTO stamps, always assume that a stamp with lower value unused than used is CTO.

here's a page from a recent purchase

it's obvious that all of the cancelled stamps, save maybe the 20aur pair are CTO.

the I Gildi stamps are almost always CTO

The Numeral cancels are easily forged, so be wary of the rare ones, the common ones are usually sold on bulk pages for pocketmoney.

check out this page www.AZ-stamps.dk if you are looking to buy them, he usually sells a lot of them.

on covers they are semi rare, and a correctly used cover with one of the more rare number can cost a pretty penny.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
655 Posts
Posted 05/12/2021   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
always assume that a stamp with lower value unused than used is CTO.

So because there are so many CTO, a higher value for used would mean postally used? And the lower value unused: would that be CTO or entirely uncancelled?
Valued Member
455 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   02:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sorsh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@ EMaxim

Yes, a few cancels are known to have been used for this, one is a Lapidar cancel Reykjavik (the one on the 5 aur brown) the other is the Bridge Bro-1a on the blocks. Furthermore blocks should also make the alarmbells sound, as there often were limited space on covers, strips were easier to fit on them.

during this period postal rules(for denmark(and therefor also Iceland)) stated that each stamp should be cancelled, so a block of 4 with only 1 cancel hasn't been postally used.

Corner cancels without a readable date/year aren't something to aim for.

a postal cover would guarantee it to be legit, but unfortunately covers from early iceland are very expensive.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 463Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05