Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Large Collection Tasked To Sort, Ideas About How!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 308Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
7 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   3:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bold_kobold to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi SCF,

My grandfather was a huge collector of stamps and postal history, and I have the task of sorting it out. I have to say that there may be little interest to add to the collection. (TBH, a collection of postcards from 1900-1920s by his sister hold more of an interest to me because of the family history in the correspondence.)

I will open a thread or two in the ' inherited' section to give you an idea of the monumental task. He has GB stamps from 1840s through to 2000, including collections he had put together, first day covers, and special collections (ie Royal weddings, etc.) There are similar stamps and collections from IoM, Channel Islands, Falklands and the Commonwealth.

Q1. Some of these stamps are in little A6 size notebooks, stuck on the page with hinges. What should I do about them? Carefully remove the stamp and hinge from the book and place in a proper album? Should the hinges be left on the back? Don't panic! Will NOT attempt to peel off.

Q2. Some stamps are in albums with these hinges on, but not attached to the page, should these be left?

I am coming across loads of unsorted stamps from all over the world; they are probably from 1920s through to WWII. As well of stamps in collectors albums aimed at kiddies. The albums are in very poor condition. Grandfather lived in house with open coal fire, very dirty. Don't think these stamps have great value.

Q3. Should these left in albums or transferred to modern?

There are many, over 200 letters, comprising his postal history collection. This has not been sorted.

Q4. How would you sort these? Try to put in date order?

Finally, where are good places to get albums / pages to put stamps in?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1919 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5607 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   3:40 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello. I shouldn't take anything out of albums for the time being. If you decide to sell, old albums can do well on eBay. There's no point in your transferring their stamps to modern albums unless you want to collect yourself. You also shouldn't spend too much time on the modern FDCs, royal weddings, IoM and Channel Islands - these things are a bit of a drug on the market. Perhaps get the unsorted material in some sort of order - I'd start with area or continent, eg GB, British Empire, Europe etc. You can then break down into countries. Good luck!
Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
bpld_kobppold,

What a wonderful project. Hopefully, like the post cards, you and future generations will enjoy looking through these treasures.

Collecting for the enjoyment of collecting, whatever that might be, is the name of the game. Don't hesitate to ask questions especially if you need basic information and especially more advanced sources of information for any possible topic. You should be able to find folks on this board a little further along on their collecting journey glad to share experiences. Russ
Edited by hoosierboy - 05/10/2021 4:49 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
7 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bold_kobold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have uploaded some piccies to the ' inherited' forum.
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.

Dale
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3018 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   06:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome!

Before going out an investing in printed album pages, I would suggest purchasing stock pages (my preference are Lighthouse brand Vario). These should be available in the UK.

Initially, you can sort by country and this will help you understand. You may have to soak the stamps off the pages and hinges. There are videos on youtube on how to properly soak stamps.

If you want to organize more, you will need to obtain a catalog that assists with identification (country, date of issue). I suspect you would use Stanley Gibbons since in the UK.

Al
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 308Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05