Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Russian Stamp In Memory Of The Opening Of A Monument To Alexander I, What Do I Have Here?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 348Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently acquired this piece as well as a perforated copy of the exact same issue. My question is what is this? I'm assuming it's a cinderella, but have you seen this one before? The place I bought it from claims it to be a proof of a 1914 stamp, but I find NOTHING about it anywhere. If you have seen it before, could you speak to its history and maybe even its value?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
563 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have no clue but it is quite an interesting and eye catching sheet, proof or not.

I will be waiting to learn as others respond.

See here for proof and perforation examples of the cinderella: https://stampauctionnetwork.com/OL/ol782.cfm

The three items went unsold per the PRs here: https://stampauctionnetwork.com/Pri...fm?pageno=33
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 05/10/2021 9:40 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6259 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   10:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Old Louis does not provide prices realized on SAN thus all of the zeros. You can go directly to the Old Louis prices on the Old Bid platform.
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I certainly know what I paid for it, but that doesn't help much in establishing what its actual worth is haha. I thought it was beautiful so I bought it, simple as that. But the question is what's it worth to someone else? @Parcelpostguy: What year is that auction from? Because it looks like my exact sheets, but I don't recall any of those other items at this latest auction. Maybe it went unsold? Are these dupes or something? Strange
Edited by oldboldandbrash - 05/10/2021 11:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6259 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   07:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the prices realized. $55 for the imperf and $50 for the perforated.

https://oldbid.com/auction-results/...-14_1477492/

Pillar Of The Community
United States
563 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It, the auction rogdcam referenced ended on April 1, 2021 (Auction #14) and the third version sold for $40.

My posted links above were for Auction Sale 7, Mar 24- Apr 7 (likely 2020). Sale #9 closed July 2020. The unsold reports for #7 seem correct as the same three were listed and sold later in #14.

These "auctions" are more in the manner of a mail sale open for a period of just days or weeks.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6259 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   1:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, they are not mail sale type auctions. I bid live in Old Louis auctions on a regular basis.

Not sure what difference the dates make. The op wanted prices.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
563 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If they do not have a currently licensed auctioneer conducting the sale as an open public auction, to me that is not an auction. Anything else is a "mail sale" even if bids are mailed via the internet. Nor do open public auctions have all bids close at once at a set time. You can't even tell where the bids are being compiled, the Oregon or the Ukraine office. Now if you win, you know from where the material was shipped.

Quote:
@Parcelpostguy: What year is that auction from?
asked oldboldandbrash. That is thus why your comment
Quote:
Not sure what difference the dates make. The op wanted prices.
makes me .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6259 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PPG - Not sure where you are coming from. Old Louis uses a bidding platform for live bidding. It works like Rasdale's, Cherrystone's and Siegel's. They also have floor bidding. In the past year or so they have had restrictions at times on in-person attendance just like many of the other auction houses. It is US based. The material ships from the Ukraine because that is where the material is. It keeps costs low.

If not having floor attendance constitutes a "mail sale" than Siegel has been conducting "mail sales" at times lately along with others in the US and Canada.

The bids close at one time on SAN just like every other auction on SAN. They are hammered down in catalog order live because it is an auction. It works the exact same way as the other auctions conducted by the main houses because it is an auction, not a "mail sale"

Not sure what this is all about anymore. I am confused.
Edited by rogdcam - 05/11/2021 4:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
563 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the explanation. It does sound like a public auction then and if the auctioneer is a licensed (or bonded--depends on the state) auctioneer, then it certainly is a public auction. If so, then it is a public auction. From the lack of transparency of the company on line, it did not pass the sniff test for as a public auction.

As to other public auction companies holding non-attendance auctions during the pandemic, I disagree that they should be called public auctions nor should they have been legally allowed to occur as a "public auction." They were bid sales, no more, no less.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6259 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PPG - Glad you agree. FYI - Old Louis operates the Old Bid platform and also accommodates bidding for Raritan and Dr. Reinhard Fischer Auktionen. A $100,000 specimen of the ''Kartonka'' souvenir sheet was hammered down live last month. (an amazing piece if you dig Russia)

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6259 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oldboldandbrash - Sorry your thread went off course. At least you have some values now!
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Haha at least you guys are essentially bumping the thread. Who knows maybe new viewers might know the origins of the stamp.

Yes, OldLouis has live auctions starting at Lot 1 and going one by one to the end. If you show up 10 minutes in, you might've already missed the lot you wanted. It's happened to me :/
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 348Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05