Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Help With Stamp I.d.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 413Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
36 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add obieblue to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm hoping this type of stamp is an old Postmaster issue or a old City Carrier stamp. It's dull blue if that's any help and its on a postcard to a recipient who lived in Fortuna California
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
563 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can you show the full card?

My first though was a revalue marking for mailing this card from somewhere other than the USA where it is being sold outside of the USA.

2 and 1/2 cents was never a post card rate in the USA to mail the card anywhere domestic nor foreign.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
36 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add obieblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for you question I thought I might uploaded the entire postcard but didn't think anybody would be interested . Maybe this is from Hawaii because it does say 2 cent foreign and its american post card

Valued Member
United States
36 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add obieblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
the printing on post card reads:
THIS SPACE FOR CORRESPONDENCE ONLY
ONLY THE ADDRESS MAY WRITTEN HERE
Valued Member
United States
36 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   10:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add obieblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ITS A CHRISTMAS CARD
Valued Member
United States
36 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add obieblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
CORRECTION
MAY BE WRITTEN HERE
LOL
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5762 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a U.S. postcard (printing in the stamp space) being sold overseas...maybe in the U.K., where the international rate was 2 1/2 d, unless I'm mistaken.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
563 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   01:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, I was now able to check my copy of the book.

From 1890-1950 these are the only postcard rates from a foreign location being mailed to the USA in which the rate is "2 1/2" anything:

Rhodesia 2.5 pence 1892-1911
Ethiopia 2.5 guerches 2-1922 through 6-1924
Belgium 2.5 francs July 1949 [Start date is too late for this type of card].

[You can tell which direction I went in the International Rate Book by Beecher and Tony W.]

Now I do not know the other rates for postcards being mail from somewhere other than the USA to somewhere else not the USA.

If there is a country which required 2 and 1/2 units to mail a postal card, my guess is that this printed for the US card was likely sold on a ship flagged by that country (perhaps the UK as noted above by bookbndrbob) which was not likely to dock at a US port. But if sold abroad, the printed postage rates on the card did not apply.

Also, greeting type postcards did get enclosed in letters and mailed.

You may get an answer from post card folks who collect the cards as cards and not as postal history. Here at SCF there is a postcard topic area: http://goscf.com/f/25 beyond that as I don't engage in deltiology, I can't point you at a postcard forum.

Edited by Parcelpostguy - 05/11/2021 01:17 am
Valued Member
United States
36 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   01:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add obieblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for your response and I'm interested in how to catalog this stamp in my collection, are typesets manual inked stamps collectable its from a post office in America probably 1888 and a government issued stamped post card. Fortuna California was only accessible by boat into Humboldt Bay.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
691 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   06:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not a stamp.

The 2.5 is simply the price of the postcard.

As an extra service the postal rates were mentioned.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32212 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   08:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The 2.5 is simply the price of the postcard.

Applause...
Valued Member
United States
36 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   1:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add obieblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for all hands down the rudeness "applause" but post cards were sold on shelfs where the buyer knew the price of the items because it was stated on a sales sign, not individually marked on individual cards, and exc.
So I take it some people are scratching their heads about this postage for 2 1/2 cents government issued metered or pre payed postage,

is it a city provisional stamp?

Eureka California it where the card was bought from the only Pharmaceutical Shop "Rings Pharmacy" north side to Sacramento. They purchased bulk post cards (100 or so) from the small post office next door on 5th street built in and around 1910. The post card displays top quality eclectic classicism dictated by area's social structure.

I presume since the difficulty in delivery of mail at the time in such a rural region the price of postage was direct result of local regional provisional postage at the time. Until a more nationalized postage system infill structure was completed.

Would this stamp be worth a premium or a minimum ?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7446 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
is it a city provisional stamp? no
Would this stamp be worth a premium or a minimum ? no

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
563 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear obiblue,

USA domestic postage rates for first class matter were uniform and had been for decades. Other classes of mail were generally uniform as well, except when the rate change due to distances where were set in zones. Even then the postage rates within a zone were uniform. The only postage "adjustment" for difficulty in delivery was for Alaska where all parcel post matter moved at the 8th Zone (most expensive rate) no matter the distance. Everywhere else a package of parcel post had to move more than 1800 miles to be rated at Zone 8.

That all said, there has been no 2.5 cent postcard rate in effect in the USA, ever for regularly mailed postcards.

As to your comment
Quote:
Eureka California it where the card was bought from the only Pharmaceutical Shop "Rings Pharmacy" north side to Sacramento. They purchased bulk post cards (100 or so) from the small post office next door on 5th street built in and around 1910. The post card displays top quality eclectic classicism dictated by area's social structure.
how did you determine that from the postcard? I can see no such indication in the photos of the card provided. Please explain.

I mentioned an International Rate book above. The same authors produced a Domestic Rate Book (from 1872 into the 21st Century) for the USA as well.

Lastly, any "provisional" or manuscript notation would be accompanied by the inclusion of the name of the post office as well as the date, at least day and month.

This "2 1/2" is in no way associated with carriage by the USPOD nor a mark supplied by the USPOD. Nor by the way was Eureka a rural region at the time. It had a population of 11,000+ with many other small towns in the nearby vicinity. Today the population is less than double that if you don't consider the Students, Facility and support staff of the California State University there. Its roots began there in 1913 as a teacher's college.

With respect,

obikohaku aka Parcelpostguy

Edited by Parcelpostguy - 05/11/2021 5:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2655 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Fortuna California was only accessible by boat into Humboldt Bay.

It was far easier to get to Humboldt county and the towns around Humboldt Bay by sea, but there were overland routes as well.

Quote:
I presume since the difficulty in delivery of mail at the time in such a rural region the price of postage was direct result of local regional provisional postage at the time. Until a more nationalized postage system infill structure was completed.

All of California was part of the United State Post Office Department. Humboldt county got it's first Post Office (Bucksport) Sep 3 1852, Eureka opened it's office Mar 11 1853, and Uniontown ( Arcata) opened Mar 12 1853, all three are on Humboldt Bay, the largest protected body of water on the West Coast between San Francisco Bay and Puget Sound.
Eureka shipped the mail to San Francisco, arrived overnight. The postal card below was sent from Eureka to Watsonville, Cal. Only took two days in 1901.

Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 413Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05