Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Catalogue For Playing Card Stamp Cancellations?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 352Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
23 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   01:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bcantin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm building a philatelic reference library to identify as much material as I can, and I have a question. Is there a catalogue that lists/prices the various cancellations of the playing cards stamps? I acquired a U.S. BOB collection some years ago, and in this collection was a nice assortment of Playing Cards stamps ordered by cancellations, apparently taken from a catalogue.

The philatelist who put this together had acquired quite a lot of these, and cut out xeroxed snippets from a catalogue and cut them out and put them on the right side of each stamp. He included a lot of notes (price paid, printing notes, etc.) and referred to each stamp by its Scott RF number, and an additional catalogue number after that - here, the same Scott-numbered stamp has two different playing card manufacturers' cancellations on them. They are - according to the notes here - "Noble" catslogue numbers... these two are PC194 and PC195.

I can't find any information on a Noble catalogue. Does anyone recognize where the xeroxed catalogue snippets at right came from?

Thanks! I've had these for many years but am just getting around to organizing them into my collection, and a full catalogue might be really helpful for me in adding some of my other Playing Cards stamps to this collection.

Barry
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
23 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   01:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bcantin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ahh sorry, I'm trying to do this from my phone and I can't see too well... I chose the wrong photo but this does contain the information I'm seeking. I'll figure this chat board's format out eventually...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
23 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   01:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bcantin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the photo I wanted to include:

Pillar Of The Community
3596 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   01:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The snippets you show are cut from the back pages of the "Precancel Stamp Society Catalog of United States Bureau Precancels" (or whatever its slightly different title is in the current edition) available from the Precancel Stamp Society.
Edited by John Becker - 05/11/2021 08:42 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
563 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   01:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Call Eric Jackson in the morning. He may know of another catalog or pricing source. He is on this board and may answer here himself. The are many publications on all manner US revenues.

The Precancel Stamp Society and it publications can be found here: https://www.precancels.com/ and publications: https://www.precancels.com/publications/

In the mean time here are some links for playing card stamps both US and world wide.

http://www.endebrock.de/stamps/st-usa.html
https://sites.google.com/site/cardc...ng/taxstamps
http://a.trionfi.eu/WWPCM/
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 05/11/2021 01:53 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
149 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   04:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tongman65 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Bcantin, a quick search on Google returns a Pre-Cancel catalog by Noble published from 1957 through 1983. Hope this helps!!
Edited by Tongman65 - 05/11/2021 04:52 am
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   07:57 am  Show Profile Check ericjackson's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ericjackson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the catalog you want for the Playing Cards Bureau Precancels:
PSS Bureau Precancel Catalog, 6th Ed, (2020) and can be purchased from the Precancel Stamp Society.

The Noble Catalog is a quite old catalog for precancels and is obsolete.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
725 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   09:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The illustrations are precancels that were applied by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. But all the major playing card manufacturers applied printed cancels on the playing card stamps back to 1894. That plus the playing card manufacturers did the same on the first issue proprietary and playing card stamps until they ordered private die stamps (Scott RU). So you see the Bureau precancels are only the tip of the iceberg.
Ron Lesher
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 352Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05