Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Should I Discard? HI

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 445Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
29 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   08:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Pshann to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi
This looks totally messed up -should I discard?
Please ignore my ignorance- mew member who knows little.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
774 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   11:05 am  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a common stamp from the early 1900's in very bad shape. It is up to you what to do with it - I would cast no aspersions your way if you tossed or burned it.

If there were something scarce or odd about the cancel or stamp, it could be useful to someone. This stamp, however, I have serious doubts anyone would want it, except for a paper/design project
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5762 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I would save it in a separate container with other damaged stamps. My wife uses these in making collages, and she has a nice selection. Shown below is a U.S. 1997 yellow rose stamp I have donated.

Or, you could keep a topical, or reference collection on types of damage to stamps. This appears to be "damage by insect", but I don't know the particular culprit.

Edited by bookbndrbob - 05/11/2021 3:16 pm
Valued Member
Canada
148 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It really depends on what your interest is. If you are collecting stamps for enjoyment and you don't have this stamp, then keep it as a space filler. If on the other hand you are not interested in collecting stamps and are trying to get rid of what you have, then you will most likely not be able to sell it or give it away. If it was my stamp, I would dispose of it.
Valued Member
United States
174 Posts
Posted 05/11/2021   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You could use it to determine flat plate vs rotary printing in the washington franklin series. This is flat plate. A rotary stamp will be taller due to press distortion. Cut it down the middle or whatever so you can compare the size of a stamp you are trying to ID. Keep it in a little box like an old matchbox so you don't misplace it. You'll find out all the details on this subject on Stampsmarter.com.
Valued Member
Australia
29 Posts
Posted 05/12/2021   05:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pshann to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all
Much appreciated
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 445Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05