Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Upcoming Stamp Shows

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 230Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
532 Posts
Posted 05/13/2021   2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I see that Westpex is currently planning to proceed July 30 - Aug 1 and the APS Great American Stamp Show Aug 12-15, assuming dealer/society/exhibit goals are met (and California and Illinois still allow the events to occur). I would think that demand would be pretty high for these events, given the dearth of in-person stamp shows over the last year and a half.

Curious how many folks here are planning to attend one or both of these.

Also wondering how attendance will be managed, since I assume that social distancing will still be required or at least encouraged, notwithstanding the fact that, given the demographics, I would assume a majority of attendees would be vaccinated by then. I have concerns about registering for these events, arranging hotel rooms, and then having to wait around for my turn to go into the halls. I have inquiries into the organizations on how they plan to manage this situation, but curious whether anyone here has looked into this and have any insight to offer.

I believe there was one stamp show that did occur a few months ago, but my memory is failing as to when/where it was. Did anyone attend that show and how was attendance managed?

Thanks.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1132 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   01:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I live in the Bay Area, so I've gone to Westpex for at least one day nearly every year since 1985. I had to miss it in 2007 because I was on vacation in Japan at the time, and of course everyone missed it last year.

This year's Westpex is unfortunately scheduled for the same weekend as another conference that I regularly attend. But on the bright side, the organizers of the other conference have decided to do it virtually this year, and only on Saturday and Sunday. That means that I will be able to go to Westpex on Friday, and I plan to do so.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
660 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   07:24 am  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The two WSP shows that recently occurred were in St. Louis and in Cleveland. Portland ran its show virtually.

The CDC guidance change yesterday about indoor masking and distancing may have an impact, but other divisions of government may still have contrary regulations, as may individual facilities. I don't believe any of the pandemic-era events had to keep people out of the room due to crowding, though I know in Cleveland dealers did at times the first day have to ask customers to come back later because their spaces were full (Cleveland spread out dealers to provide more space for distancing).
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
532 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   11:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Received this email from the APS:

Great American Stamp Show: Chicago 2021

Statement from Scott D. English, Executive Director

Let's Do This!

In March, we announced that we were moving into the next planning phase for the Great American Stamp Show. To make the show financially viable for both dealers and the American Philatelic Society, we needed to meet specific benchmarks. I am pleased to announce we've completed those benchmarks, and the Great American Stamp Show will happen.

We called on our philatelic community to make plans to attend, and the response has been overwhelming! Good news and bad news: Our hotel blocks are filled for both the Embassy Suites and the DoubleTree hotel. If you haven't booked your room yet, we will get additional rooms for those planning to attend.

To the collectors, exhibitors, societies, and dealers who made commitments to attend the show: You made this possible. On behalf of the American Philatelic Society, American Topical Society, and the American First Day Cover Society, thank you for rising to the occasion!

I would like to thank the APS Board of Directors for their faith in our fantastic team here at the APS. There have been so many developments over the past three months, and they've proven agile and responsive. Thank you to our partners at the American Topical Association and the American First Day Cover Society for their trust and support throughout this process. We promise to deliver a show to remember. Thanks to our partners at American Stamp Dealers Association, especially our old friend and colleague, Dana Guyer, for rallying the dealers.

Most importantly, I want to thank Wendy Masorti and Sarah Myers, our Shows team, for their tireless work in planning the show, responding at all hours to questions and concerns, and getting us across the goal line. It's hard to believe this, the first show for both of them! Thanks to Ken Martin, our experienced hand at stamp shows, for his guidance and support to our rookie team.

To the dealers who have not committed to the show, look at the overwhelming response so far. We're all planning to come to Chicago to support our dealer community after the challenging year. You will not want to miss this show!

The COVID pandemic has challenged all of us in the hobby, and we have emerged stronger from it. The response over the past two months is more proof of that. We're not out of the woods just yet, so be vigilant, be safe, and be in Chicago in August for the Great American Stamp Show!

Show Details:

Dates: August 12-15, 2021

Location: Donald E. Stephens Convention Center, Rosemont, Illinois

Hosts: American Philatelic Society, American Topical Association, and American First Day Cover Society

Sponsor: United States Postal Service
Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 05/15/2021 11:57 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 230Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05