Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Album In One Family For 145 Years

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,468Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
Posted 05/13/2021   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Clovnfire to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is this called "fresh material" ? I think another would be ok , but perhaps unlikely ?

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
183 Posts
Posted 05/13/2021   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tipzi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1482 Posts
Posted 05/13/2021   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not exactly sure of the meaning of OP's second sentence, but on the basis of these photos that album could contain some good material.
Edited by dudley - 05/13/2021 5:18 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7447 Posts
Posted 05/13/2021   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, beautiful stamps and don't understand the editorial either

Peter
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
Posted 05/13/2021   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Clovnfire to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just meant to inquire of another similar find perhaps a hope too high . Or why not go for the rainbow so to speak
Pillar Of The Community
United States
839 Posts
Posted 05/13/2021   5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Would love to see more pics from that book.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6259 Posts
Posted 05/13/2021   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
Posted 05/13/2021   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Clovnfire to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think I was struck mostly that the album was held by just 3 generations for 145 years . The first was born before the civil war and the third is now in his 90's . That is more impressive to me than any stamp .
Valued Member
52 Posts
Posted 05/13/2021   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So this is from around 1876? I have seen Scott Intls from around late 1890's but have never seen this style cover and didn't realize they started that early. Is this first edition or did they start even earlier? I'd be interested in seeing table of contents and what the coverage is for other countries. Definitely impressive to be in one family for 145 years
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
Posted 05/13/2021   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Clovnfire to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was 1875 , the first Scott International printed from what I have been able to find. So the boy was 15 years old in 1875 , those were the days I bet . So did the postmasters hold stamps for the kids then too ?

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6259 Posts
Posted 05/13/2021   8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An excellent history of stamp albums:

https://stampaday.wordpress.com/201...tamp-albums/
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32215 Posts
Posted 05/13/2021   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice link Rog, Thanks.
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   07:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Clovnfire to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are the odds pretty high to find another , perhaps of unpicked 146 yr old Scott album ? Not that odds exceed providence . Nice link, I wish there was a Museum-Society displaying all the pre 1900 albums data base . Like Mel Fisher , I think we are simply entrusted with items to later pass to others .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1703 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   08:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I was a kid I was given the album that was used by my Grandfather and Father. It was Nothing like you have found. My grandfather started collecting around 1905.
Valued Member
52 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is a great link about the history of stamp albums

I find old stamp albums as well as ephemera such as old stamp catalogs and philatelic magazines possibly just as interesting as stamps/covers themselves, is this a recognized specialty and are there people out there who actively collect this sort of thing?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1005 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great thread!

After reading the link to the history of stamp albums, I'm curious about how the stamps were affixed to the OP's album. Hinges?? Glue??

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Edited by danstamps54 - 05/14/2021 11:28 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,468Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05