Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scotch Tape Problems

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 524Next Topic  
Valued Member

Israel
7 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add lezero gan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My English is pure so it will be difficult to describe my problem.
I have a lot of stamps that once were attached to a paper album by Scotch Tape.
Sample picture from this forum is attached here.
I put my stamps in water and the Scotch Tapes were removed, but (after so many years) each stamp still got mark remains from the Scotch Tape.
Sample picture of those marks is attached here.
I tried to remove the marks with: hot water, hydrogen peroxide, bleach, White gasoline, Acetone, etc. Nothing helped.
My problem is not the mark itself. I do not mind to put the stamp in my new album as it is, as long as it will remain the same and will not cause side effects.
I am concern if, in this state, the stamp might: spread further, move to other stamps, or contaminate my album.
Does spores (rust, fungus( will grow on this mark? in this case of course I will not put the stamp in my album.
Do you have any idea what might happen to those stamps if I leave then as they are?
Thanks

Send note to Staff
Edited by lezero gan - 05/14/2021 11:17 am

Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DaveG28 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hate to say, and I'm sure others will back me up, but the tape marks are permanent. If the stamps are of no personal or sentimental value, it might be best to put them in the trash. You're not going to salvage them any better than you already have.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5762 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Way back in a 1976, The Dealer's Guide to Chemical Restoration of Postage Stamps was written by an anonymous chemist. In it, he/she outlines, over 7 1/2 pages, some procedures for somewhat/possible removal of self-adhesive residue from stamps using a "Soxhlet extractor" with heated benzene and toluene.

Here is one paragraph concerning the process: "The vapors of the organic solvents are flammable and toxic! The vapors of benzene are especially so. Accordingly, The extraction should be done in a fire-proof room."

Personally, I just throw away tape-stained stamps.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 05/14/2021 11:59 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
667 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I consider stamps damaged by scotch tape, glue and the like to be irretrievably damaged and should be discarded
Learn More...
9384 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   1:50 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are various chemicals (i.e. acetone) which can lessen the stains but I am not aware of any the will magically remove them. The chemicals are noxious, only partially effective, and you end up with stamps which are still damaged.

If a stamp is worth enough to consider 'improving', then in my opinion it is worth enough to send to a professional paper conservator for evaluation/quote. But other than rare stamps/cancels, I agree with the folks above and replace them.
Don
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
150 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RK1468 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To your other question about whether this will somehow spread and damage other nearby stamps, I wouldn't be concerned on that account though I guess they might adhere to your album if the glue is still sticky.
Valued Member
Israel
7 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lezero gan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thank you all for your replies.
I know that I will not be able to clean those stamps.

But I like to know what will happen if I chose nevertheless to put them in my album.
Will the stains spread further, move to other stamps, or contaminate my album?
Will spores grow on the stains?

Because if the answer is no, and the stains will remain unchanged and will not cause any side effects,
I consider putting them in my album as unattractive as they are.
Any ideas?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
704 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had the same problem as you, about 10 years ago - I bought a collection with some of the stamps taped in place, with the same kind of stains as you have. I soaked them in lighter fluid to remove all the tape glue, but the stains remained. I put them in my album anyway. This year, I have been replacing them - they look ugly. In 10 years, they have not caused any problems to the album pages or to the other stamps around them. Also, since my albums have stamps mounted on both sides of the pages, there are some instances where the stained stamp was in direct contact with another stamp on the facing page (front to front), and there was no damage transferred.

My 'experiment' is only 10 years long - I don't know what happens over more time. Also, be sure you completely remove the tape glue - any remaining glue will cause problems.

Good luck!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32214 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Same as above,
a couple in my collection > 10 years OK
Most have been replaced by better examples.

As an aside, still receiving stamp lots in the mail, with brand new glassines taped shut with sellotape.
Never understand that, I don't mind on older yellowing glassines
but destroying new ones.
"Magic Tape" can be easily removed. peelable.
Valued Member
Canada
239 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The same dumb people thought putting stamps in self-stick photo albums was also a good idea. I see too many of them in household auction photos and have to look away.
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1135 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Its almost like a grease/oil stain. If concerned that the residual may transfer over time, just put them in clear mounts. That will isolate them from touching the page or other stamps. And if they are cheap easily available stamps, replacing them may be more economical than the cost of mounts.
Edited by No1philatelist - 05/14/2021 9:53 pm
Valued Member
Israel
7 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   01:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lezero gan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You have been very helpful and professional. So good to have such support. Thanks a lot to you all
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1106 Posts
Posted 05/24/2021   1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes soaking in Bestine, a rubber cement solvent, will remove residue.without harming "MOST" stamps

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32214 Posts
Posted 05/24/2021   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 524Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05