Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

USA Kansas Overprints On A157 Type Coil Issue ? Not Is Scott.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 409Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
6 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bjrnet to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a 2 Cents Washington type A157 coil stamp with the "Kans." overprint.

I couldn't find it in Scott. Anyone have any information?

Could this be a forgery?

APS member #225176.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
515 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
it is most likely a fake overprint. K-N issues were only issued in sheets. check the stampsmarter.org website for more info. I cannot tell if the overprint over or under the cancel from the scan.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
648 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A fake, in my opinion. It appears that the overprint is over the cancel from the scan, but I can't be sure.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1228 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The perforations appear consistent with a perf 10 coil ... meaning this is likely a Scott 599 as opposed to a Scott 660 with horizontal perfs trimmed off. The overprints are sheet stamps perf 11x10.5. So I would think this is likely a forgery.
If you have a Scott 634 handy, compare the height of this stamp to it. The rotary coils are a bit shorter than the 11x10.5 sheet stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2603 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   4:58 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
also the overprint looks a bit too perfect
Pillar Of The Community
United States
563 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also, OP, the KANS. or NEBR. were applied by letter press thus that the letters would indent into the paper and cause a obvious rise on the back of the stamp due to the pressure of the impression. This is often still visible on a used example. were applied as a precancel in the new process for rotary stamps. The value above 10 cents were not done as those were printed on flat plate, not rotary presses. (So much for trusting the memory as pointed out by revcollector below) Inkjet printing is an issue, typewriters cause a paper impression thus standout as faked.

https://www.linns.com/news/us-stamp...-kansas.html
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 05/15/2021 10:18 pm
Valued Member
United States
183 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tipzi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course it's fake. But really cool! I found this same fake overprint, identified by the dropped "s", on a 634A about 40 years ago, which got me into really studying stamps.

It makes one wonder why a forger would show his hand to create a stamp variety that never existed.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7440 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   8:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Kans/Nebr overprints were applied the same way that precancels were added; there should be NO indentation of the paper, and no "feel" to the overprint. That and the gum breakers (one every 17mm) and the shades (early paler shades, the brighter ones were later printings) are the most important factors.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
563 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@revcollector, right, fixed.
Learn More...
9384 Posts
Posted 05/16/2021   05:04 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...That and the gum breakers (one every 17mm) ...

My understanding was that the breakers were 21-22 mm apart on those stamps which show two (at very top and bottom of stamps). This is what I have on Stamp Smarter in Bob Allen article, is this incorrect?
Don
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 05/16/2021   07:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bjrnet to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After closer examination, it does look like the "Kans." overprint is over the cancel which definitely suggests a forgery. Thanks everyone for taking a look.

Learn More...
9384 Posts
Posted 05/16/2021   08:20 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The under/over with cancels and overprints is virtual impossible to detect and a poor way to verify. There are examples in this forum which appears to show a overprint under the cancel in one section of the stamp and the overprint above the cancel in another part of the same stamp. This optical illusion has to do with scanning and the generation of the digital images.

But in my opinion it is a fake/altered stamp.
Don
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
Posted 05/16/2021   08:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to the article by James DeVoss the gum breakers are approximately 21 mm apart.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2603 Posts
Posted 05/16/2021   08:36 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"My understanding was that the breakers were 21-22 mm apart on those stamps which show two (at very top and bottom of stamps). This is what I have on Stamp Smarter in Bob Allen article, is this incorrect?"

While you can get two (very top & bottom), most of the time you only get one somewhere in the middle.
Learn More...
9384 Posts
Posted 05/16/2021   08:51 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, a Type II breaker as Bob has in his article https://stampsmarter.org/learning/M...reakers.html
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7440 Posts
Posted 05/16/2021   09:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My error, I remembered them as 17. It is correct that there should only be one to a stamp, or occasionally one at the top perfs and one at the bottom perfs.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 409Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05