Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Roman States ? Need Help With ID

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 897Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Learn More...
424 Posts
Posted 05/18/2021   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stamps4Life to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I came across these stuck in with some Australian stamps.... Can anyone help with ID? Scott Roman States, Type A15, Sc 22, 15???

Also, would these be included in Big Blue Intl Album? 1949-55...

How do these stamps get cut up like this?

Tks

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6251 Posts
Posted 05/18/2021   12:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The so-called reprints were made at several times to meet collector demand. They were made from plates reproduced from the original plates. The impressions are usually flattened, and they have many flaws. There are also several different classes of forgeries. They need to be compared against the originals, as most of the forgeries do not have exactly the same design characteristics.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5286 Posts
Posted 05/18/2021   12:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are from the second printing ,it is the color that tells me that . They are the Gelli & Tani reprints and are made from the left hand pane of the Moens printing .

If they had more orange and less red then they would be the Cohn reprints which also were made from the left hand pane of Moens , the problem is trying to judge color from a computer screen .
Edited by floortrader - 05/18/2021 12:57 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5844 Posts
Posted 05/18/2021   01:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Those are from the second printing ,it is the color that tells me that . They are the Gelli & Tani reprints and are made from the left hand pane of the Moens printing .

If they had more orange and less red then they would be the Cohn reprints which also were made from the left hand pane of Moens , the problem is trying to judge color from a computer screen .

I can't say I even dabble in these. I do tend to look them up when they float across my transom. Do the Cohn reprints have unbroken horizontal lines?
Valued Member
Learn More...
424 Posts
Posted 05/18/2021   09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all. Considering the color when scanned, I decided to take a picture and the color is much closer to true. I've also included the back. Im guessing these had just been sloppily cut?? Also, would these be included in Big Blue Intl Album? 1949-55...

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7441 Posts
Posted 05/18/2021   10:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You'd get a much better result if you use a black background instead of all these different shades. Any craftstore can sell you a sheet of black paper

Peter
Valued Member
Learn More...
424 Posts
Posted 05/18/2021   10:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You'd get a much better result if you use a black background instead of all these different shades. Any craftstore can sell you a sheet of black paper

Peter

No one has ever mentioned that to me before. Ill get one today - thank you. Are these in the BB do you know? I dont seem to see Roman States anywhere - Colonies, Territories, etc., yes - but no States.

Still just reprints, but different version of due to color?
Learn More...
9372 Posts
Posted 05/18/2021   10:36 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...I decided to take a picture and the color is much closer to true...

On who's monitor? Yours? Mine? My wife's smartphone?

This thread should stand for perpetuity on the fruitlessness of posting stamp images and questions about colors.

Not saying this has occurred in this thread, but it is easy for a person to generate images based upon what they want the stamp to be. Then other folks weigh with an ID based upon the image not knowing how close the image is to the actual stamp.

Hell, we could get people in the same room, with the same ambient lighting, and still have disagreements on what colors people think they see.
Don
Valued Member
Learn More...
424 Posts
Posted 05/18/2021   11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Quote:
...I decided to take a picture and the color is much closer to true...

Sorry, to clarify, "to true" I meant to what I have.... I have no idea as to the color of the genuine stamps as I have none. But, to your point I got some black paper and heres another scan. As before, its not close to what I have and also, as you mention, the adjustments I tried to make it look closer to what I do have failed.... This scan , as the other, is un-edited or "as is" from the scanner-scanner software. Canon MX922 scanner printer

So, to re-confirm, these are reprints, yes?

Edited by Stamps4Life - 05/18/2021 2:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
608 Posts
Posted 05/18/2021   2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, these are unofficial reprints. These reprints are not in the Blue Internationals. The originals would be in Volume 1.
Valued Member
Learn More...
424 Posts
Posted 05/18/2021   2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes, these are unofficial reprints. These reprints are not in the Blue Internationals. The originals would be in Volume 1.

My Part 1 goes from Aden to Croatia. These are reprints of Roman States, right? I dont see that in Part 1.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
608 Posts
Posted 05/18/2021   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I am using old International Albums. The Roman States will be found under Roman States a page or so after Romania in Part 1 (or part 1A if yours is split). If you are looking in a Scott catalog the Roman States will be in Volume 3 (or maybe 3B if your cat is split) just before Italy.
Valued Member
Learn More...
424 Posts
Posted 05/18/2021   3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ok, when you said the originals would be in Volume 1, I thought you were referring to Big Blue Scott Albums - the older ones. I have found them in my Scott Catalog but not anywhere in the Big Blue Albums.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
588 Posts
Posted 05/19/2021   12:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Volume 1 of the Scott Internationals (the big blue albums) covers 1840-1940. They later split it up to volumes 1A, 1B, 2A and 2B that covered the same era. Volume 2 was 1941-1949 I think, eventually they got to one volume per year, and then two per year...
Valued Member
Learn More...
424 Posts
Posted 05/19/2021   12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tks billsey for the timeline. Makes sense now. However, I still am not seeing Roman States in mine. Maybe I don't have it?? Still looking
Valued Member
Spain
272 Posts
Posted 05/19/2021   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ciao.
I don't work with those catalogs, but the Romans didn't make stamps; Best burcar old Italian states, specifically, the Papal State.
Regards.
https://www.ibolli.it/cat/asi/ponti...ntificio.php
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 897Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05