Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Postage Stamps Of The Virgin Islands.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 231Next Topic  
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32191 Posts
Posted 05/18/2021   12:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rod222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Being a World Wide Collector, very few stamps from the Virgins,
arrive in swaps etc.
Hence my collection is a lot of gaps, with a few stamps here and there.

1937 Steiner Page 5.

1978 Steiner Page 13.

1974 Steiner Page 21.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Australia
92 Posts
Posted 05/18/2021   06:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod222,

Hardly ever see BVI stamps in the club auctions or club circuit books in Melbourne, Victoria and it appears that it is another one of those countries that have few, if any, 'collect the country' collectors here.

Similar to Barbados in that respect as well. I rarely see any stamps from Barbados around and can't recall ever seeing a country collection from either the BVI or Barbados come up in an auction in the past 20 some years here!!

So my Barbados collection is sort of 'frozen' in time. I'd like to collect the BVI, but I have a feeling that other than a few cheap modern stamps the pickings would be slim.

I should have visited the BVI when I had the chance years ago when I was younger and spent time in the Caribbean area. Not possible now given the current situation.

The BVI appears to be one of the better countries for reasonable real estate prices. The holding costs of real estate there is quite reasonable compared to the USA and once you own real estate there the visas are easy to get too. (But if you are a US citizen you can NOT open a bank account in the country!!)

PS: The US Virgin Islands also have a wide range of real estate prices and generally low holding costs as well, but the crime rate there is much higher than in the BVI............

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32191 Posts
Posted 05/19/2021   1:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting Post M.Y,
Australia another country, for reasonable Real Estate Prices.
Notwithstanding personal location ideals,
one can secure a roof over your head, for about the price of a motor car, sometimes even free.
(Caveat : Location location location)

Regarding Virgin Islands, one could build a collection from eBay,
roughly paying about a $1 per stamp, but would be labour intensive.

Most of my collections are built from swapping.

I have outlaid most shekels on my main collections, Turkey and Romania. (and Literature)

Edited by rod222 - 05/19/2021 1:45 pm
Valued Member
Australia
92 Posts
Posted 05/19/2021   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod222,

Thanks for that listing. Wonder how much it will go for...

More interested in earlier stamps and stamps with decent cancels on them.

Australia real estate cheap?

Even out in woop woop it is too expensive there being no jobs, no stores, no schools..........

Where I live in the Melbourne suburbs the cheapest house currently for sale is in the mid A$500,000's and to be perfectly frank, it is a dump. A decent house will set you back at least A$1 million. The most expensive house in the suburb was recently sold for around A$8 million.

Our rates here have more than doubled in the past ten years, but still cheap compared to what the people in the USA pay and here in magical Oz we don't have capital gain taxes when we sell our PPR and no death taxes either.

And speaking of the BVI here are the annual taxes for real estate:

Land:

Tax on land is US$50 for the first half acre and then US$150 for a half acre to one acre. After that US$50 per acre.

On houses, condos, buildings:

1.5% of the assessed annual rental value of the property. So most people there pay less than US$1000 and more likely around the US$500 area per year.

(No bs extra land tax if you own more than one property either as in Oz.)

Of course you have to worry about the occasional 'storm', the beautiful beaches (where you can actually swim), and the nice weather all year round!!

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32191 Posts
Posted 05/19/2021   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed, if you wish to live in major capital cities (with the associated madness) then your figures are familiar.

If one is brave enough to venture into the hinterland
and start from scratch with no mortgage, then there are always properties for peanuts.

(I was a realtor here for 25 years)

You can even live in a Rainbow !

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/...under-50000/
Edited by rod222 - 05/19/2021 9:19 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32191 Posts
Posted 05/19/2021   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

By the way, M.Y.
One is not able to live in Woop Woop, it no longer exists
It is not far from where I live, Homes in the region
command vast prices.

not that far from Collie. Woop Woop was 10km North-west of Wilga, about 70km South of Collie.
Situated in the stunning Jarrah Forests.

It was a milling town which came into existence in 1925 to harvest jarrah trees, but after three years, faded into history.
Valued Member
Australia
92 Posts
Posted 05/20/2021   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod222:

I think I'll pass on those beautiful examples of OZ real estate!!!

Here is something I would be interested in IF I had the money and ability to go there:

https://dougall-luxury-bvi.com/prop...town-wdocks/

(Note - the property comes with its own dock so you'd 'have to' buy a nice 40' power boat to go along with it!!)

Better yet, buy a condo in Japan near the ocean for less than A$30,000......
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32191 Posts
Posted 05/20/2021   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, the moral of the story
The moral of this song
Is simply that one should never be
Where one does not belong
So when you see your neighbour carrying somethin'
Help him with his load
And don't go mistaking Paradise
For that home across the road
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 231Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05