Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Find The Reperf Challenge

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 1,836Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1183 Posts
Posted 05/21/2021   1:29 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rlsny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a Scott #461 OG with 2 certs. However the to agencies (PF and PSE) disagree on the perfs. Rather than show you the certs, I'd like to try to get a fresh look.

Which sides if any, look like reperfs to you? (No cheating by going to the PF website.)

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
960 Posts
Posted 05/21/2021   1:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have no knowledge of US stamps and perforations, but if these were British stamps, I would be suspicious of all sides but the bottom.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by NSK - 05/21/2021 1:39 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
485 Posts
Posted 05/21/2021   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rhett to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am thinking that both left and right sides are possibly reperfed. Top and bottom look OK to me. But hey, what do I know?!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
759 Posts
Posted 05/21/2021   3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think they are 0-for-4. Bottom doesn't look straight. Left looks unevenly spaced at top. Right doesn't look well-spaced, either, but it is hard to be sure since the perfs on that side are a bit short. Top just doesn't 'feel' right. If I knew one side was good, I would pick the top.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
526 Posts
Posted 05/21/2021   4:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
imo no sides look good.......
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1183 Posts
Posted 05/21/2021   5:09 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The perfs are generally pretty straight. I don't think that is a good case. The bottom and top are parallel and I just see one not full punched perf on top that isn't aligned.
The left and right are parallel but not exactly perpendicular to the top/bottom perfs. The right side might be a bit more uneven or more tilted in my view.

I haven't given away what the certs say yet - I will but giving a little more time for anyone else who wants to chime in.
Pillar Of The Community
563 Posts
Posted 05/21/2021   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bottom/left/top is my guess
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2707 Posts
Posted 05/21/2021   7:11 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The one hole om the left near the top is awfully huge, but I less like the right side for not being parallel to the left/not being perpendicular to the top & bottom
Pillar Of The Community
1015 Posts
Posted 05/21/2021   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's what I do. This might be legit or it might not be. Since perfs are done by machine and not by hand, logically, all perfs should be in a staight line wthout any of them farther in or farther out. That doesn't mean the line of perfs can't be crooked, but they should line up pretty evenly whatever direction they go.

To check this, I use a straight edge like a ruler or even a piece of paper. One one side, place the straight edge at the inner edge of the perf at the end. Move the bottom of the straight edge to the inner point of the perf at the other end. Adjust as needed. The inner edges of all perfs on that side should all be pretty close to the straight edge. None should be much farther in or out.

Applying that test to this stamp shows me that the right side of the stamp seems to have perfs not in a straight line. This may have set off alarm bells with your certificate people. Personally, though, I'm not convinced. Too many people see problems where none exist, and this stamp seems like a good example of that. It seems like a perfectly fine stamp to me.

Having said that, some of its perfs may have been "tidied up" a little or "enhanced". On nearly all four sides there are some unusually perfect perfs alonside some messier perfs. How can that happen? When you tear paper, you shred the edges of what you're tearing so there should be fibers sticking out. Some of these perfs look like someone used a hole punch or something to cut them better than they actually were. Doesn't bother me much, but it's not exactly recommended.

If this stamp has been reperfed it was one perf here and another perf there, not an entire side. Put another way, if someone did reperf this stamp, they did a darn good job and it's not clearly noticeable anywhere on the stamp. And the margins are very good. And the color is bright and pretty. And . . . well you get the picture. I'd happily put this in my album.
Edited by DrewM - 05/21/2021 7:25 pm
Learn More...
9680 Posts
Posted 05/21/2021   7:33 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Left perfs compared to right, upper perfs compared to lower perfs.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1236 Posts
Posted 05/21/2021   7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not very good at recognizing reperfs, but I would guess right & bottom.
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
Posted 05/21/2021   8:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stephen J Bukowy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FWIW, I'm guessing the left side. Holes seem deeper than the right side.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7543 Posts
Posted 05/21/2021   8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Right side for sure, and possibly the top is my thinking.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6648 Posts
Posted 05/21/2021   9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that all the perforations are fake since the intent is to manufacture a 461.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7543 Posts
Posted 05/21/2021   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's possible, I'm not seeing much evidence of pressure ridges.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1183 Posts
Posted 05/21/2021   11:07 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks you all for giving your thoughts on this. Based on all these diverse opinions you will not be surprised at these certs I guess.

As for my opinion, I think Don's post is the way to get the best view. I did a similar thing for myself. From that I think as others have said, the perfs are aligned ok, but the top and left have rounder perf holes.

Of course I would prefer DrewM's solution, and he may well have a point, but given the certs, I have to accept that there is some kind of reperfing here. Since the certs agree it is a 461 (and not a 409) I am going to assume that at least some of the perfs are legit.

My conclusion, this stamp needs a therapist.

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 1,836Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05