Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Revenue Pickups From Indiana Stamp Club Spring Fair

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 341Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5205 Posts
Posted 05/22/2021   5:22 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not a bad haul for what is considered a "local club show." It didn't break the bank either. Probably the best items are the plate variety cherrypicks and the block of 4.

A couple of mint full gum 1st and 2nd Issue revenues, which are moderately scarce.

A nice Samuel Hart & Co. printed playing card co. cancel.

2-line handstamp cancel.

Unusual handstamp cancel with curved "ERIE" city name in center.

A couple early pre-revenue-era railroad stock certificates.

A number of attractive documents from The Anglo-South American Bank Limited, including two multi-country taxations.

A draft on the Bank of London and South America completely wallpapered with 1-Peso revenues.

An Alabama usage.

If I need to order any revenue stamps, well at least I now have the order form.

A document with both U.S. and Canadian revenue stamps affixed.

Third issue 30c with large margins.

Absolutely ginormous R1a.

A nice petroleum company stock certificate with an absolutely hammered embossed seal.

Two $1 Inland Exchange, one silk paper, both exhibiting more dramatic variants of the double transfer in DOLLAR at the bottom.

R13c margin imprint capture also showing small plate scratch at lower left.

R55c with a double transfer I've not seen before, with doubling in top letters, bottom letters, and down the left side.

And the items I found that I was happiest to pick up:

Document with both a very interesting "DISCOUNT TELLER" handstamp with the document showcasing a huge format perfin cancel.

R183 horizontal pair with bright original color. 1. These are rarely found in multiples. 2. The lake color was a fugitive ink which runs when immersed in water. So any examples in very pale color have been soaked. Don't do that.

This is the first tissue stereoview I have seen from during the 2-year taxation period. Tissue stereoviews were hand tinted, with deliberate pinholes at places in the image where the light should shine through.

Surprisingly, this is the first Arkansas document in my entire 1st issue collection. Apparently they are more scarce than one would think. Presumably the "Subpoena in Changery" (it is definitely the letter "G") is a misspelling of Chancery? I can find no reference to the former anywhere.

And the 2 big ones IMO:

A used block of 4 of R259, the perf 10. It is listed but unvalued as a block of 4 both mint and used. Catalog value is $300 as 4 singles.

An R13c with all-over double transfer. Very scarce! This one is different from the other examples I have found, but there is doubling all over the place. I wish the cancel actually wasn't there, as it obscures some of the doubled elements. The image below is 3200 dpi, so if you click on the image you can see it at high resolution.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
559 Posts
Posted 05/22/2021   5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ciletaliph to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thats quite a haul!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
669 Posts
Posted 05/22/2021   7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice show success.

Quote:
misspelling of Chancery?

"CHANGERY" is correct.

Unusual, but does note a change as this example from a chancery court, " Original bill in Changery The clerk of St Louis Circuit will pleaseIssue a subpoena G A Bird Solicitor forcomplts Filed 12th March 1831 Archibald Gamble Clerk Copy of B "

THE CHANGE? One man named Gilbert, a negro man, is being changed from the status of slave to that of a free man by his owner, Jonathan, a free black man. Seems a real and good change in my mind. Oh, not that Jonathan needs any help to understand his intentions, he had only that day acquired the possession of Gilbert via lawful bill of sale.

---------------

Quote:
If I need to order any revenue stamps, well at least I now have the order form.

There is a different order form, a USPOD form, for ordering documentary stamps by postal clerks for use on parcel post matter in the USA 11/1917-12/1921. It is a special section on a standard stamped paper order form. I will post one eventually. Must dig out and photograph.

-----

EDIT TO RESPOND TO revenuecollector's POST BELOW:

One needed to know "changery" was a good law-related word, then Google ignoring any changes to chancery until you find something good. There are modern hits but a contemporary usage to your item was preferred. It does help that one of my prior hobbies was reading old unabridged dictionaries 1920 or earlier.

Edited by Parcelpostguy - 05/23/2021 01:54 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5205 Posts
Posted 05/22/2021   8:20 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. If you do a Google search for the term "subpoena in changery" (in quotes) it literally returns zero results. It only offers results for "subpoena in chancery".
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7494 Posts
Posted 05/23/2021   12:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Would they have been using a form revised in 1898 for the 1917-1921 stamps? The proprietary stamp face values do not go high enough on this form; One would think that they would have revised it for the later time period.
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
Posted 05/23/2021   12:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamp Hunting to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see a bunch of amazing things there. The subpoena, that is truly an amazing piece of history on many levels.

Very good haul.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
622 Posts
Posted 05/23/2021   07:55 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It does say chancery on the back side. And also handwritten as chanchery.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 341Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05