Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Have You Helped You Heirs?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 1,125Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
Posted 05/24/2021   10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gvol21 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, just FYI - downloaded the album disposition form from your site and got a PDF with the following message:

Quote:
Please wait...
If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF viewer may not be able to display this type of document.
You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader for Windows®, Mac, or Linux® by visiting http://www.adobe.com/products/acrob...dstep2.html.
For more assistance with Adobe Reader visit http://www.adobe.com/support/products/ acrreader.html.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
9478 Posts
Posted 05/24/2021   11:09 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The PDF is a form with fields that you fill in on your computer; the majority of free PDF readers are able to render the form correctly.

Are you able to open the form? If not, which PDF reader are you using?
Don
Valued Member
78 Posts
Posted 05/24/2021   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add STTScott to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Parcelpostguy said >> You use the term "important" but what is that a code for, expensive (to you), expensive for anyone, rare but of little value due to lack of demand, relatively worthless but establishes a previously unknown detail or what? <<

"Important" depends a bit on the stamp itself and its connection to history as well as its potential catalog value. For instance, the #239 slightly off-center on the horizontal, but the fact that 1893 Columbian Expos were the USA's first commemoratives. Things like that.

But basically, it's a guideline that says "Don't dumpster this one, have it checked out."
Valued Member
78 Posts
Posted 05/24/2021   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add STTScott to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@DrewM: I like your attitude. Same as mine. I guess all any of us can say is when we're feeding the tree, what our heirs do with our earthly belongings won't matter to us. All we can do now, tho, is find ways to give them a leg up (because they had no interest in this hobby) so they don't trash a few things that may financially benefit them either a little or a lot.
Valued Member
78 Posts
Posted 05/24/2021   11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add STTScott to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Funcitypapa said >> if your daughter's eyes glaze over when you try to talk to you about your collection why would you plan for her to "inherit" it? Why not sell and let her inherit the proceeds directly without a middle man? Very few of us have heirs that are interested in the items themselves (pick the type of collectible), only the cash they might get for them. <<

1. Because my son is inheriting my coin collection.
2. If I cashed in the choice specimens in my collection, I'd probably just spend it on hookers and tattoos before I'm dead. So I sorta think of leaving it all alone as forced savings.
3. Because why should I make it easy? (Antiques Roadshow wouldn't exist if dead people did all the legwork.) There's money in there, but I'm not just going to go thru the effort and just hand it over. I believe people should work for their money, and that includes things left to heirs. And on the very outside, my daughter researching my collection might end up finding something speaking to her (she appreciates good art, and our engravers did encellent work) and her becoming interested in this awesome hobby.

We dead people work in mysterious ways.
Edited by STTScott - 05/24/2021 11:56 am
Valued Member
78 Posts
Posted 05/24/2021   11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add STTScott to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@DrewM said >> I'd put most of my "education" of family members into providing them with some contacts as to who to sell the collection to. Who has a good reputation, can evaluate the collection well, and can offer a fair price for it? That's all they really need. It's so-called "value" is going to only be your guess, and much of the time it's going to be wrong. <<

Exceptional advice, IMO. And that was sorta the point of my post: There are stamps and there are STAMPS! We all have one or two of those in our collections. Our gems. And since when we're dead, the only things that matter to our heirs (who have absolutely no interest in stamps) is 1. What's this stuff worth? and 2. How much of a pain in the arse will all this stuff be for me to sell?

A lot (if not all) of our common stuff that we collected just because we liked it) will be dumpstered -- but only if they know what the common stuff is that it's OK if it gets dumpstered. The collector world will live. But Imagine how many, let's imagine, original inverted Jennys mighta got trashed because, "This stamp is screwed up. Can't be worth anything." That's why I was saying that giving our heirs *some* sort of indicator/s of what we know to be notable and not dumpster because it's worth looking into, our heirs will be better off.
Edited by STTScott - 05/24/2021 12:02 pm
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
Posted 05/24/2021   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gvol21 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Interesting... I'm running MacOS 10.15 and got that error message using Preview, the default PDF app for Macs. Never seen it before. Opening using Adobe's own Acrobat app allows the form to load correctly.
Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
Posted 05/24/2021   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
gvol21,

Quote:

Quote:

Interesting... I'm running MacOS 10.15 and got that error message using Preview, the default PDF app for Macs. Never seen it before. Opening using Adobe's own Acrobat app allows the form to load correctly.

Preview opens a lot of different file types and generally does a decent job. But it frequently has trouble with Adobe pdf, either not being able to open or not properly formatted.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
528 Posts
Posted 05/24/2021   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd be more concerned that as a relatively young guy in my hobby, I am going to outlive everyone else interested in buying stamps... I don't know what the legacy of stamp collecting looks like in 25 years, including auction houses.

Valued Member
United States
101 Posts
Posted 05/24/2021   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gibby01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rismoney, on the flip side think of the awesome collection you're going to have buying for pennies on the dollar at the firesale of the future..
Learn More...
9478 Posts
Posted 05/24/2021   9:25 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The hobby has often lamented the lack of younger people participation. For me this is like saying 'genealogy is going to die off because it does not have a lot of young people participating in it'. I think that some activities are favored by certain age groups.
Below is an image of a 1968 APS meeting, not many (any?) young folks in this group yet the hobby is still going strong in the 50 years since this photo was taken.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6387 Posts
Posted 05/24/2021   9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are more old people in the making every time a baby is born.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1108 Posts
Posted 05/26/2021   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've told my heirs that they will have to learn about stamp collecting and the value of stamps. For this they will receive a great reward. If they choose NOT to do this they will screw themselves. Nothing is free in life, not even an inheritance.
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
Posted 05/27/2021   01:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dry Tech to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How true.

My attitude is if my heirs have zero interest and eyes glaze over when I even mention my stamps, then most likely they will muck up the sale of them no matter the preparations I make before I pass.

So, I've made provision in my will to have the collection sent to those I know will really appreciate it. It feels good knowing they will have a good home, will cost me nothing and will surprise the heck out of them.
Pillar Of The Community
3660 Posts
Posted 05/27/2021   08:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From my observations, the best financial returns I have seen are, in order:

1. When the collector sells the material when still alive. They often know the best dealers/collectors for it. And there is enjoyment in seeing the next generation of collectors advance with the material.
2. To have a designated philatelic executor to do similar directing to the best channels.
3. Absolutely worst, leave it as a burden to family members to manage who know nothing about it - or worse yet, care nothing about it. A recipe for items being damaged or lost to the hobby.

I recently bought two modest groups of material. One from the still-kicking owner and one from an estate through a dealer. Based on my bargain with the second lot, the family of the deceased collector did not do nearly as well.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 1,125Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05