Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Have You Helped You Heirs?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 1,127Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
52 Posts
Posted 05/27/2021   1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gwanghoops to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My wife and kids don't collect but I worry they'll be ripped off...So I

- left some written instructions to either: sell on eBay face value binders, give to charity, and either keep or sell individually marked binder/items
- marked by binder their disposition
- slowly briefed the wife on stamp collector widow stories, the fallacy of financial gains in collecting, and the eBay seller bloodletting

I just got a "don't be uninformed" item in the mail -- around 1500 USPS souvenir and commemorative panels over 20 years weighing 75lbs that netted less than $200 after selling costs. Hopefully the widow knew what to expect.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
78 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add STTScott to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@JohnBecker said >> 3. Absolutely worst, leave it as a burden to family members to manage who know nothing about it - or worse yet, care nothing about it. A recipe for items being damaged or lost to the hobby. <<

Burdens are never dealt with well.

And that was kinda the thought I had in my origibal post. Giving our heris/left behinds SOME sort of something to go on -- whether it's an inteicately-researched text file, an Excel file denoting different levels, or like me basic colored stickers on the Safe cards on what may bemore or less notable and what probably isn't hecause there are just stamps I collected because I liked 'em and have little/no SCV or SMQ value -- I think we owe it to themand the hobby to at least give them something of aheads-up.

But OTOH, if some kid cleaning out their recently-passed geek-dad's house pitches a small album of, say, MNH OG 1893 Columbian Expo #236-pluses that wpuld ring pristine, it'd surely be a crime ... but the actual population just went down and collectors of those rejoice.
Edited by STTScott - 05/29/2021 1:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
662 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   1:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
See this thread to the end: http://goscf.com/t/77500

Now go back and reread this thread. Repeat until it sinks in.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 1,127Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.13 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05